That Monster Under My Bed

Follow me on Instagram! I post updates on the story there! @ emberia_

~Say it. Say you hear them too.~

"God of Jealousy?"
Ethan just nodded his head somehow analysing my expression a little bit closer.

"So what powers have you got?" It appeared that the God expected this question or maybe he already rehearsed the answers for it.

"I can make someone jealous, enforce the emotion against their will." Ethan explained with unintended gleam.

"Have you..have you ever forced someone?"

"Off course I have. The devil has the type of soul that eagerly thrives off of other people's negative emotions. Anger, jealousy, greed..the list goes on forever really."

"So it works like a compulsion?" I articulated with a gentle smile hoping to lure him into friendly trust. After all, he could and should trust me; we shared too much not to.

"Not really - I'll show you." Ethan peered at me, my face, my hair, my eyes. A feeling of self cautiousness and hatred filled my brain like a switch. I saw a blonde girl standing in the forest with hands wrapped around a male. Alec was next to her, with a genuinely sweet smile - one he always kept secret from me. My heart paled as they walked off into the sunset, hand in hand, as if they were meant to be and I wasn't even in the picture. Erased and unwanted from many stories and memories that we've lived through not that long ago.

"What the hell was that?" I wheezed as soon as the petrified picture flashed through my eyes and never returned.

"Your jealousy." I stood still for a moment wondering if he saw what I saw to.

"No, that was something-"

"Guys get back in the house it isn't safe out there." Caleb exited the gothic mansion with hands stuffed into the side pockets of his jeans. I three my eyes towards his face and smiled gently when he so casually dropped himself next us on the cold grass.

"Dude we're immortal unlike you." Ethan responded with a throaty laugh.

"Can you be nice for once? You two are like best buds." They both peeked at me as I grew multiple heads and was ready to jump a cliff to swim with the dolphins.

"Me and him? Best buds?" Caleb looked shocked and mortified for a second before bursting out laughing.

"Close it dog, before I loose my temper." Ethan stated with a loop sided grin that brought another one shining on my face.

"Alright that wasn't funny." Caleb looked offended and ready to leap from the ground. Knowing Ethan, he was far from done annoying the blonde.

"Ethan say sorry." I patted his shoulder awkwardly, with a smug expression - I had this handled alright.

"Me!? He was the one-"

"Just say sorry." Ethan glanced back from me then to Caleb, then back to me with slightly frustrated gaze.

"Sorry." Ethan moaned loudly before rising from the bench and taking an incredibly fast turn sideways.
"Ass clown." He coughed between his teeth.

"HEY!"

"You haven't seen me open my mouth!" And with that Ethan flew from the porch and into the house leaving Caleb and me smiling.

"Best buds you say?"

***

The next day my count-down officially started. It has 3 days and a few hours left till our mission began. I was yet to discuss the changes to my plan with the devil.