Chapter 46 | Public Display

Ryan rushed over to the bathroom to see if Ricky was ready to leave. It was Monday, and they both dreaded walking back into school, for different reasons. While Ryan was terrified of Chris taking some of his anger out of him, Ricky had to return to a place he'd mentally taken a vacation from for a few weeks.

"Hey, you ready?" Ryan quickly spoke as he stopped in the doorway.

Ricky remained leaned over the sink, his long hair framing his face. He sighed, "Yeah."

The other remained quiet for a moment. Ricky's tone was different. Most people probably wouldn't notice, but Ryan did. He's around him almost every waking hour these days. He couldn't help himself from noticing. It wasn't just that. When Ricky turned around to face him, there was a different look in his eyes. The trembling fear that had resided there had turned stoic and resentful again.

"Ricky, are you... Back?" He hesitantly asked.

"Yeah. I woke up this morning and he'd let me have control again. The outside world scares him too much for him to stick around for too long. Thank you for taking care of me and letting me stay here through it."

"Yeah, of course." Ryan nodded his head towards the stairs. "My mom's got waffles ready, if you're hungry. We'll have to eat on the way, though. We're running a little late."

"Wouldn't be the first time we ate waffles on the bus." He joked.

Ryan managed to laugh a little. The moment was bittersweet. He was relieved that Ricky's more sensitive side had gone back into hibernation, so to speak, but with the host's reappearance came a whole other set of issues. Did this side of Ricky have the same feelings for Ryan as the other side? Did he even remember what happened? Of course he did. While not all alters will share memories in people with Ricky's condition, some do. In Ricky's case, his did. 

The two rushed downstairs after grabbing their bags. They grabbed a waffle each off the counter, giving a fast "thank you" to Ryan's mom. They'd just barely gotten to the bus stop when the bus was pulling up. Any second later and they'd be walking. They settled in their seats, catching their breath.

"That's the most you've ever talked about him." Ryan muttered.

"It's the first time he's come out that I was at an age where I could fully understand him. Even if he only comes out every few years, I need to become more comfortable with him." He quietly responded.

"You know, we really should give him a name aside from yours. It gets confusing calling you both Ricky." 

"Hm," Ricky laughed through a bite of waffle, "You'll have to talk to him about that... Ry?"

"Yeah?"

"Is it okay if I still stay at your place for a little longer?" 

"Uh," It's not like he was unhappy by the request, but he was damn shocked. "Yeah, of course. You can stay as long as you like. You know that. It's pretty much your house anyways."

"Thanks. I, um, I'm kind of shit at expressing feelings, but I don't know what I'd do without you... Probably be dead."

Ryan shrugged, "We'd both probably be dead without each other, realistically. Not just from depression or shit, but like, we keep each other from doing a lot of dumb shit." 

"True. But, even though I am forever in your debt for what you've done for me, I'm not saving you from Chris." He said.

"You think there's a chance he could've forgotten?" 

Ricky scoffed, "Nope." 

| | |

As with every morning, Ricky dragged himself to one of the science rooms. Devin was already sat in her normal seat, reading a book while she waited on the bell to ring. She glanced up at him when he walked in and offered him a gentle smile.