Chapter 22 | Locked Windows

With nearly everyone gone now, Chris was left to pick up the basement. Ryan and Vinny were still there, but of course those two weren't lifting a finger. Truth be told, Vinny would've be gone three hours ago if it weren't for the fact that Ryan was his ride. His phone kept buzzing with "WHERE ARE YOU?!" texts from his mom.

He whined, "Ryan, my mom's going to kill me if we don't leave soon."

"That's not my problem." He responded, taking a drink from his soda. "We'll leave after I'm done with this drink, okay?" 

"You really don't understand Italian mothers." He said.

Ryan laughed like the sadist he was. It was only eleven, which wasn't too terribly late for a junior like him. For a little freshman like Vinny, though, it might as well have been three in the morning. Not to mention the fact that Ryan's mom is laid back, the opposite of Vinny's. He was contemplating grabbing a piece of paper to write down his will.

Nick came back downstairs, after just leaving a few minutes later. He leaned against the railing at the end of the stairs. "Devin and her boyfriend fell asleep in my room." He tiredly said.

"Just leave them be. You can have my room tonight." Chris replied, "Can you ask mom to call Mr. Sola and tell him Devin fell asleep here?"

"Yeah." He pushed back from the railing and ran back upstairs.

"That was really nice of you." Ryan commented.

Chris continued to pick up empty plastic cups and paper plates, throwing them in a trash bag. "She needs a break from home, and she never gets to see Mike. This is about the only place her dad trusts her either. It's just the right thing to do."

"You're a better person than all of us combine, you know." He sighed, glancing at his phone to see a text from his mom. Ryan felt sick to his stomach. His chest was tight just thinking about what he knew he should tell them. "Um... My mom said she can't get my sister to sleep, so I should get home to help her out, but, um, there's something I wanted to talk to you guys about..."

Chris stopped what he was doing. Mainly to listen, but also because he needed a break. He sat down on the arm rest of the couch adjacent to the one Ryan and Vinny sat on. "Is something wrong?"

"I wouldn't exactly put it that way. It's not a bad thing." He nervously chuckled, "I've only told Devin and my mom, so please don't tell Ricky or anyone else, but I felt like it was time I addressed the fact that I'm... Not straight." It wasn't bad for him when he told Devin and his mom. For some reason, though, telling them made him feel like he was going to die.

"You're gay?" Chris asked, just to clarify. The words "not straight" could really mean a lot these days.

"Yeah... I'm sorry I didn't say anything before. I just didn't want to make a big deal about it." 

Vinny shrugged, "Okay. It's not going to change anything. I'll still kick your ass just the same."

Ryan raised his eyebrow, "When have you ever won a fight against me?"

"Uh- whatever. Can we just go? If I don't get home soon I might not have a house to go home to." The others laughed and he scowled, "That wasn't a joke."

"Hey, your mom might be crazy, but she loves you." Chris smiled and hugged him, "Thanks for coming over tonight." He then hugged Ryan goodbye, embracing him tighter than he had Vinny. "You know I'm always here if you and your mom need anything."

"Thanks, Chris. I hope you managed to have a good birthday, even with all our bullshit."

"You don't have to take the blame for one or two people's dysfunctions. But, I did still have a good birthday. Have a safe drive home, okay? I'll walk you out." He said.