Chapter 16 | Cup of Tea

There was a moment of silence in the room. Nearly anyone in that room had never heard Ricky sing solo. He was in the choir, but they couldn't really judge his voice when it was melded with others. This was the first time they'd really heard him sing. Even Ryder, who heard him practice, was shocked to hear the power of his voice. Ryan, on the other hand, was grinning proudly. 

Mrs. Thomas lit up like a firework, "Yes! That's exactly what I want to hear! Thanks, Ricky! That was great."

"Really?" He asked, seeming shocked anyone actually enjoyed that.

"Yes! It was perfect! A little gloomy, but I mean, I wouldn't expect anything else from you. I do have to kick you off the stage though because we have a lot more entries to get through." She replied.

He smiled happily. "Thanks."

Ricky headed off the stage, heading backstage to go pack his guitar up. He placed it in it's case, closing it up. Before, any chance of winning did seem pretty pointless. Not anymore, though. Maybe he did have a chance. Ryan wandered back over to him, starling him when he set his hand on his shoulder.

"Waita go." He gently spoke.

The smaller glanced up, catching the grin on Ryan's face. He seemed pretty proud of Ricky. After all the time they've spent together, it was only natural. They were pretty much attached at the hip. Ryder had to take off but he made sure to text him to let him know he was proud of him too. Ricky stuck around after his audition to support Ryan and Chris. 

A few more Juniors performed, then it was time for the Seniors. Unfortunately for Chris, his last name was pretty close to the beginning of the alphabet. He was surprisingly nervous. Ryan was never nervous about shit. Well, maybe he was, but he was good at acting like he wasn't. No one had mastered the "I don't fucking care" look quite like Ryan had. 

It was mind over matter. When the song began, that's when he was able to relax. The notes strumming on the guitar put his mind in another place; A place where he could forget about everything around him. Ricky had a good voice, that was true, but no one could sing like Chris. He didn't just sing. His emotions transcended on everyone who heard him perform. Unfortunately, it seemed his relationship's issues had followed him to the stage.

"I've been sitting here staring at the clock on the wall, and I've been laying here praying, praying he won't call. It's just another call from home, and you'll get it and be gone, and I'll be crying. And I'll be begging you, baby, beg you not to leave. But I'll be left here waiting, with my heart on my sleeve. Oh, for the next time we'll be here seems like a million years, and I think I'm dying.

What do I have to do to make you see, he can't love you like me? Why don't you stay? I'm down on my knees. I'm so tired of being lonely. Don't I give you what you need? When he calls you to go, there is one thing you should know. We don't have to live this way. Baby, why don't you stay?

You keep telling me, baby, there will come a time when you will leave his arms and forever be in mine. But I don't think that's the truth. And I don't like being used and I'm tired of waiting. It's too much pain to have to bear, to love a woman you have to share.

I can't take it any longer, but my will is getting stronger. And I think I know just what I have to do. I can't waste another minute. After all that I've put in it. I've given you my best. Why does he get the best of you? So next time you find you wanna leave his bed for mine, why don't you stay? I'm up off my knees. I'm so tired of being lonely. You can't give me what I need. When he begs you not to go, there is one thing you should know. I don't have to live this way. Baby, why don't you stay, yeah..."

A silence fell on the room. Ryan lowered his head, feeling a pain in his chest. Chris may have been the one to pick the song, but it seemed to resonate with him a lot. He may not know exactly what was going on with Ricky. He had no idea about Ryder or any of it, but he knew two things for certain. He had feelings for his best friend that he shouldn't, and they were slowly becoming distant. Maybe one was giving way to the other. A forbidden love is one of the greatest pains on the heart.