Chapter Fifty Eight

Our time in Seattle had come to an end and it really felt like the time had zipped by in a flash. I could have sworn it was only yesterday that Duff and I had flown back from Australia. It had been great, this entire trip had been! It was something we really needed to do again and maybe, we could also go elsewhere, such as Fiji. Maybe. The only shame was, I wasn't able to meet any of Duff's siblings, as they were all located in different towns. But apparently Duff and Alice were going to work out a time to have a family reunion, just so I was able to meet the rest of his large family.

"You don't really need to go, do you?" Alice's eyes were teary after she had said farewell to us both with a tight hug and kiss on the cheek.

"Mom, we kind of do." Duff chuckles. "But don't worry, we'll be back before you know it."

"I'll have my foot up your ass if you don't." She threatened. With her teary eyes, small smile and a calm voice: you couldn't take her seriously, but I knew she meant it.

"I'll make sure we come back, Alice." I smiled sweetly. "And I'll make sure to keep this one in line, he'll know it if he steps out."

Alice let out a soft laugh. "You see, this is why I love her." Alice says, speaking directly to Duff. "Alright, I'm going inside before I become a complete mess."

"Love you, Mom." Duff puts the car into reverse.

"See you Alice. Thanks for having us." I begin to wave.

"Drive safe and give me a call when you get home." She slightly waved before she headed up the porch and into the house.

Turning to Duff as we began to drive off, I noticed the reusable coffee cup between Duff's legs. I knew he had went out and got a coffee earlier this morning, he managed to finish it in record timing and decided to make one back at Alice's. Those home-made ones though? I knew they had alcohol in it.

"Duff, maybe I should drive." I suggest. I wasn't entirely comfortable with leaving such a big drive in his hands, especially when I knew he was under the influence.

"No, I'll drive." Duff insisted.

"But you've been drinking." I state.

"So?" Duff turned his attention to me, agitation appearing on his face.

"So, I don't think you should drive. We could have an accident." I tried to reason, but judging by his face, he was not having it.

"We won't have a fucking accident, just relax." Duff's tone of voice said it all, he was very irritated now. But I couldn't keep my mouth shut, could I? I had to continue.

"Duff, I know you have vodka with practically everything. Coffee, juice, probably water too. I'm a little bit worried about you, it can't be doing any good for your organs." I tried to stay calm as I spoke.

"What are you saying?" Duff's eyes were dark.

"I'm saying, I'm worried that alcohol is taking over you and it will be the end of you at this point." As soon as I said that, I knew Duff was going to rip into me.

"Are you calling me a fucking alcoholic?" Duff growled.

"I didn't say that, but if the shoe fits." I nodded.

Oh wasn't there hell to pay after I said that. Duff went absolutely berserk on me, swearing up a storm. It was safe to say, he was beyond angry and I was actually frightened he was going to take his anger out on me physically, especially when he would smack his fist down on the top of the steering wheel as we drove along. I had seen him mad and him and I had our arguments, along with the time he laid a hand on me, but this Duff wasn't right. He was a bit off. Not wanting to hear him anymore, especially when he was going absolutely ballistic, I turned my entire attention away from Duff, I let out a shaky exhale and felt the tears prick in my eyes. I don't know what had me tearing up more. Whether it was due to his reaction, the swearing or the physical abuse to the car's steering wheel. I did know one thing, I wished I wasn't locked in this car with him. I couldn't admit that, imagine what he would do then.