Chapter Forty Six

Waking up to the sounds of loud squawking outside of our room, I let out a groan and rolled out of Duff's embrace. It had been a long time since I heard the squawking of a yellow crested cockatoo, couldn't say it sounded any different to the last time I was here in Gove.

"Shoot that fucking bird." Duff let out a loud groan, pulling a pillow over the back of his head.

"Don't be mean!" I let out a laugh. "They are sweet birds, if you ever give them a chance." I explain, leaving the bed and heading into the bathroom. I was keen for a shower and something to eat, I didn't even know what time of the day it was, but I wasn't too bothered. I would figure that out once I finished freshening up.

Stripping out of my clothes, I turned on the shower and hopped in. I didn't have to wait for the water to warm up, as the water here in Gove was never cold. As for the weather, the coldest temperature ever recorded was nineteen degrees celsius and that was in the dry season.

"Mind if I join you?" Duff's voice startled me mid-shampooing my hair with the hotel's complimentary hygiene products.

"Did you really have to ask?" I giggled, trying to come down from my fright.

Duff chuckled as he ripped off his clothes in record timing and hopped in behind me. Instead of showering like a normal person would, Duff enveloped me in his arms and began to kiss my shoulder. Feeling Duff's morning wood against me, I bit my lip and gently smiled. I didn't intend on having sex, but feeling him up against me like he was, I wasn't going to deny him.

Several hours later, Duff and I emerged from the hotel room and made our way through the Walkabout Lodge, exiting and heading into the town square. We were both keen on getting something to eat and I was obviously going to show Duff around, not that there were many shops to show him.

"So what's the plan, babe?" Duff asked as we crossed the road. "Get somethin' to eat and go to your folks place?"

"Sure." I agreed with half a smile. "Definitely food first." I tugged Duff faster across the road, wanting to hurry to the local café.

Scattered across the town were the locals, people who worked for the mine and of course, the indigenous Australians. In North-East Arnhem land, they were known as the Yolgnu people and they were pretty amazing people to get to know. So I was sure this would be an ultimate cultural experience for Duff!

"So I am just going to be upfront now. This is an aboriginal/mining town, so if you ever get called a wawa, that is their lingo of saying 'brother'. Yappa is 'sister' and yukka is 'no'. That is the bare minimum you need to know. But hey, you're a yank, they'll forgive you." I teased Duff, watching as he rolled his eyes at the word 'yank'.

"I must be a bit more than a yank to be able to capture the attention of you." Duff flirts. "I mean, just look at you. My beautiful Australian girlfriend." He tugs me against his side and kisses my temple.

"And you're my handsome American boyfriend." I sighed as we walked down towards the shops. It was oddly busy today, which had me wondering if it was payday for everyone.

Just before we could get to the café, my attention flew down towards the entrance of Woolworths. I could have sworn I seen my parents walk into the store with a trolley.

"Shell, what's wrong?" Duff questions as he noticed that I let go of his hand and took a few steps away from him as we got to the café.

"I thought I saw, Mum and Dad." I answered with an unsure expression.

"Well, let's go check if it was them." Duff shrugged, grabbing my hand again and leading us down towards the entrance to Woolworths. "If it's not them, we can go back to the takeaway shop and get something to eat." He reasons just as we entered the grocery store.