Chapter Fifty Two

Leaving Gove was a lot harder this time rather than the time before it, I was a sobbing mess by the time I got onto the plane. Poor Duff had to put up with my crying for about two hours, which he was very patient about. I guess when I left the first time, I was too angry and hurt to be thinking about the consequences of leaving. This time, it hit me so hard. I was leaving behind my family and it absolutely broke my heart. I didn't want to leave without them, but that was just the way it went. The entire flight back to America was also hell, as I had a migraine for most of it due to my sobbing mess. Duff didn't mind the flight, he thought it was easier this time rather than the last two times. But he was a little down after leaving Gove. I think my family really made him feel like he belonged there, that it was a second home. But I doubt Duff would admit to me how he felt about it.

Laying in bed, in a hotel in Seattle. Duff had gone out to buy himself a packet of cigarettes and whatever else he thought we needed in the meantime. We had already spent two and a half days in Seattle and we hadn't really done anything. This was due to the jetlag and getting used to the time difference, but also because we actually couldn't be bothered. But today I was sure Duff had made plans for us. He had mentioned going out to dinner and watching a movie, but he didn't go into detail about it.

"Honey, I'm home." Duff sings as he enters the hotel room.

"Honey?" I note, getting out of bed and walking over to him. He was actually carrying some groceries in paper bags, which was a little surprising.

"I've always wanted to say it." He blushes. "So I got us a few things. I got some milk, so I can actually make myself a coffee, rather than having it black. Some bread and a variety of spreads, also a couple of snacks and a couple of other things." Duff explains, placing the bags down onto the small glass table.

"You were gone for like four hours and this is all you got?" I kind of laughed.

"Babe, don't judge me." Duff raised his hands in defence. "I had a look around while I was shopping." He reasoned.

"You sound like a woman who has been window shopping." I poke his side teasingly.

"Hey!" Duff exclaimed with a smirk. "Don't."

I shook my head and crossed my arms over my chest, did he not want me to tickle him? I found that rather amusing. "Why, you ticklish?" I beam up at him as he began to put everything away.

"Pshh, no." He snorts, throwing the paper bag into the small rubbish bin. "Want a smoke?" He pulls out a packet of Marlboro cigarettes, as he did, something small also fell out of his pocket and down under one of the chairs. Whatever it was, it was black and kind of cube shaped.

Going to bend down, Duff beat me to it and snatched up whatever fell down. Placing it securely back into his pocket, he let out a sigh and headed over to the sliding door to the balcony.

"What was that?" I asked, turning around to see that he had already disappeared out onto the balcony.

Heading out and onto the balcony, Duff was already leaning against the metal railing and smoking his cigarette. He looked pretty content standing out there, but I was too busy trying to figure out what the hell the black box was that had fallen out of his pocket. It kind of bothered me not knowing, especially when I could see it poking out of his back pocket.

"Duff, what is that?" I stop right by him, gesturing to the cube in his back pocket.

Duff sucked on his cigarette for a few seconds longer and gently blew out the smoke, before turning his attention to me, he flicked his cigarette over the balcony. "Shell, you're killing me." Duff complained.

"What?" I frowned, feeling more than confused now.

Duff reached into his back pocket and held whatever the cube was in his hand. "This wasn't the way I wanted this to go, I had big plans." He shook his head, not so much frustrated, but I could tell he wasn't very pleased. "But I guess I gotta work with what I got." He hums.