58th piece: Bar line

The song for this chapter is idk love by Jeremy Zucker. I hope you like this early chapter. Please play it after this chapter so you can relate to what Caralei feels. 

There is nothing in the world so much like prayer as music is.

~ William P. Merrill

Caralei

Waking up with a text from Montessoro saying 'good morning beautiful' was a great way to start the day in Italy. Going back to work from a vacation made me want to lie down on my bed for hours until I like it but because of Montessoro's text, he made me want to get up and go to work. It's kind of ridiculous now that I have to think of it that he can make me smile by just that message. And he will be arriving here tonight and I can't wait to see him! I'm glad I don't have anyone to say this... I miss him. Once I got dressed, I met my father at the dining table who was reading newspaper and already had finished his breakfast except his half- empty cup of coffee.

"Hey dad! Good morning!" I greeted smiling. Dad folded his newspaper and he appeared to be looking at a miracle.

"What?" I can't help but laugh at his reaction at me.

"You've been acting different after the festival." He finally said what he wanted to say. He had that disbelief look with a mix of surprise since yesterday.

"What do you mean?" I asked as I went to the kitchen, made coffee and got my breakfast. When I came back, he was drinking his coffee.

"What do you mean?" I asked again placing my plate of eggs and rice and my coffee on the table.

"You've been happy." He replied making me shake my head.

"Dad. I'm always-"

"Happy? Hmm..." He squinted his eyes as if he was assessing me.

"Dad! I'm-" He cut me off again by raising his hand.

"I haven't seen you get eaten by the past."

"Woah. Big word back there, dad."

"I'm serious. What happened? You always have a smile on your face, yes, that's true but your smiles sometimes don't reach your eyes." Sometimes.

"Is it obvious?" My voice was low and small. He sighed leaning over the table.

"To others? Maybe no. But to me, yes." I'm not faking it until I make it, then.

"Dad I-" He cut me off again.

"Is it because of Gabriel?" He asked with no holds barred. I didn't answer immediately. He smirked while I looked down on my food I can't even eat right now.

"It's him, isn't he?"

"So?"

"So is he making you happy? Are you happy with him?" I looked at him and he raised an eyebrow.

"You have the answer to your question." He smiled.

"This is the first time you have actually approved someone." I pointed out and he took a sip. While waiting for an answer, I took a bite.

"But I still let you go out on dates with the others before, right?"

"Yes." He chuckled knowing that I was stubborn even if he disagrees with me.

"Because I know you can kick them right in the balls if they ever touch you." I laughed.

"And if he ever does that to you, don't ever hesitate to kick him in his family jewels."