Tight Knit

Jason's pov

*a few days later*

I groggily wake up hearing shouts of, "No! Please don't! Come back!" "Baby??" I gasp, disoriented, trying to see but it's so dark. She was thrashing around. I wrapped her in my arms. "Baby wake up! You're dreaming!" I gasp worried. She slowly woke up, shaking, her hand wrapped tight around my shirt. I hold her gently. "It was just a dream." I whisper rocking her. She was shaking and crying. It went on for a few hours til she fell back asleep.

*the next day*

Dr. Kensington, her second cancer doctor walks in. "Hey, how is everyone doing?" He asks. "Fine." I say. She was half asleep, listening to music through headphones. "Just pretty tired." I say worried. "You or her?" I force a worried smile and rest a hand on her head. "A little bit of both doc." She opens her eyes and looks up at me. "What ya listenin' to babe?" I ask smiling exhausted. "It's about time by Hank Williams Jr." "Good ol Bocephus." I say, holding her hand. "Mrs. Aldean, I'd like to discuss some stuff with you." She sits up and I wrap her headphones up while the doctor talks. "I'd like to run some tests. See how it's going inside. If the cancer cells are dying. I mean Dr. Grant says they are but I always double check. So let's get you prepped for a CT scan." She nods nervously. "I hope to God it's working." I squeeze her hand. "You have to be positive baby girl." She smiles up at me. "I believe the cancer cells are dying." I smile and hug her. "That's my girl."

*later*

Luke comes to visit with Todd. I smile and pull my little man into my lap. "How's Uncle Luke's place, Bucko?" "Fine. How's mom?" I force a smile, as not to worry him. "She's workin' on gettin' better." Luke hands him his backpack. "I drew a picture for her." He says digging through it and pulling out the drawing. It showed Miranda swinging on a swing while I pushed her and the kids played tag. I smile and hug him. "She'll love it son!" Then I notice something confusing. A gold circle with rings around it in the top center. "What's that?" I ask pointing to it. He smiles. "Treasure planet." I laugh softly. I look to my blood brother. "Thanks for watchin' the kids for me, dude." "No problem, Jason. How are you doing though?" "I'm survivin'." I say biting my lip worried. She comes back. "We should have results in a few hours." He says. She sits beside me and Todd gives her the picture. "Oh Todd thank you!" They hug and she tapes it up next to her bed. "That way I can see it when I wake up and before I go to bed." He smiles. She lays down, a hand on her stomach. "Feeling nauseous?" I ask. She nods. "I hate this feeling." She mumbles, forcing a weak fake smile for Todd. "Where's Kate, Luke?" She asks, looking over at him, a pained expression on her face. "She's with Carol and the boys. They went to her dad's house." "Why didn't Todd go?" I ask confused. He smiles. "He wanted to come here and see you guys." Todd lays beside Miranda. "I hope you get better soon mama. I miss when we read bedtime stories to Kate. I miss when you make dinner and dad pretends to help even though he can't cook to save his life." Everyone in the room laughs at that one. "Tell me babe how'd I survive without you?" She smiles. "I'm gonna bet you had a lot of hot pockets and microwave dinners before I came along with all of mama and daddy's home cooked recipes." She closes her eyes tired. I cover her up. She falls asleep pretty quickly. "Dad can I sleep here with mama?" Todd asks, giving me the puppy dog eyes. I can't resist his big brown puppy dog eyes. I smile and nod, kissing his head. "Sleep tight kiddo. Love you." "Love you too dad." He cuddled close to Miranda and fell asleep. Luke heads home. I lay on the sofa and glance at my sleeping wife and son. "Take my spot, squirt." I drift off to sleep about thirty minutes later.