A Diagnosis

Jason's pov

The doctor finally comes in after us waiting, sitting in worry for almost an hour. I'm pissed. I am beyond pissed right now. We're completely terrified. "Sorry about the wait folks."  "Tell us what it is!" I say through grit teeth. He sighs deeply. "Miranda the bruising on your back is from metastatic spinal tumors." My heart stops. Tumors. That's cancer. "I hate to inform you, they tested positive." "Oh God!" She cries terrified. I hug her. "I think we caught it in time." He continues, looking sad himself. "I'm gonna die!" She cries miserable. I shake my head. "No you ain't, baby." She grips my shirt and cries hard. I reluctantly call Tim. "The kids can't hear me can they?" "No. What's up?" I don't want to tell him this. God dammit I don't. "Jason, what's wrong with my daughter?!" I bite my lip as tears fill my eyes. "She... She tested positive for cancer." I shakily choke out. Silence.

Tim's pov

I shakily drop the phone horrified. I get Kate ready to go as Todd gets himself dressed. "What's going on grandpa?" He asks, struggling to get his jacket on. I help him then put Kate in the carrier on my chest. "Come on, Todd." We go to the hospital and my sweet princess is crying softly in Jason's arms who was also crying. "Miranda." I shakily say. I've gotta call Faith. "My babies!" She whimpers, reaching for Kate. I give her to her mama. "My sweet sweet babies." "Daddy what's going on?" Todd asks, grabbing his shirt sleeve.

Jason's pov

I set Todd on my lap. "Mommy.... Is sick... So... Sh-She's gonna be in the hospital to get better." "What if I don't get better?" She whispers shakily, touching Kate's face. "You will baby. The doctor said we caught it in time. You're gonna be okay." She looks up at me. I put my hands on her cheeks and wipe those tears. "I'm gonna love ya through it. You will make it!" I say. "Oh Jason!" She screams crying hard. Tim takes Kate and I wrap her in a tight hug. She cries hard on my shoulder. The doctor walks in and gets her checked in to the hospital's cancer unit. A redheaded nurse walks in with a cherry attitude. "Hi Mr. And Mrs. Aldean. My name's Jenny and I'll be your on call nurse for the evenings. If there's anything you need, anything at all. Don't hesitate to ask me or your daytime nurse Maxine." A dark haired woman walks in behind the redhead. "I'm guessing you're Maxine?" I ask. She nods. "Max for short." I nod worriedly, looking at my girl. "Need anything baby girl?" "Just my babies." She whispers shakily. I force a worried smile. "I'll tell your dad to bring them in." I call him and tell him. He walks in ten minutes later. "Your mother is on her way." Tim says, his voice shaky. She cradles Kate. Max comes in the room with an IV and an IV bag. "What's that?" My terrified wife asks. I hold her hand. "It's your chemo, miss." She says, wiping an alcohol wipe on her arm. She looks at me scared. I give her hand a reassuring squeeze. She smiles but it fades when the nurse sticks the IV in her arm. "I hate needles." She mumbles. "I'm sorry ma'am." The nurse says, sadly. "Thanks, Max." I say. She nods and leaves the room. A few minutes later, Faith arrives with Miranda's sisters. She quickly runs to the bed and hugs her. "I can't believe this is happening." She says.

*a few days later*

Miranda's pov

"When you're weak, I'll be strong. When you give up, I'll hold on! When you cry, I swear that I'll... Be there to dry your tears. When you're lost or scared to death and feel like you can't take one more step. Just hold my hand, together we can do it! I'm gonna love you through it." He whisper sings in my ear, holding me in his lap. I'm so tired and tomorrow I have my first radiation therapy. I'm so scared. "I can't even get surgery since it isn't breast cancer." I mumble, curling into him. He hugs me tighter. "Jason," I shakily whisper. "Can you sing Kate's song?" "You mean I wanna be there?" He asks, a worried tone in his voice. I nod, laying my head on his chest. "I... I don't think that's a good idea." "Please?" I beg. He sighs. "OK baby. Anything for you." He says kissing my head. "The first night we brought ya home. It scared me half to death. I stood right beside your crib and counted every breath. Lookin' at your little face, heaven seems so close. It felt alright to ask the Lord for what I want the most. I wanna be there. When you're one and you're just learnin' how to walk."

Tim's pov

I walk down the hall to her room and hear Jason singing softly to her. "I wanna be there with your mama when you're havin' your first child! My only prayer.... I wanna be..... There." I worriedly walk in. "Hey." "Hey daddy." She says smiling and looking up at me. I force a fearful smile. Me and Jason walk in the hall to talk. "Is that really the best song to sing to her right now?" I gripe aggravated. "I didn't want to. She wanted me to." He says, hands in his pockets. "How's she doing?" "Weak and been throwing up." He mumbles, looking back in her room worried. I sigh frustrated. "It's not fair!" He says. I nod.

*later*

Jason's pov

I wake up in the middle of the night, hearing her crying. I sit up, groggy and blink the sleep from my eyes. "Baby?" She was looking at her phone and crying. I sit beside her and realize she was scrolling through the comments on a post I put on Instagram asking fans to pray. I hug her. "You'll be okay, Miranda." I whisper against her long brunette hair I love so much that will soon be gone. She drops the phone and cried into her hands. "You don't know that, Jay." She whispers, turning around, the IV getting caught. I fix it for her and gently touch her cheek. "I do know that. Cause I have faith and I know he won't take you away from me and our kids." I wipe away the tears that roll down her pale face. I kiss her softly on the nose. "I love you." "I love you too." She whispers, touching the scruff on my chin. "I'm scared." I hug her tight. "Don't be, angel. You're gonna be okay." She cries softly in my chest. I hope and pray what I'm telling this magnificent angel is the truth. "Please Lord don't take my wonderful wife away from me." I mouth the prayer so she doesn't hear it and worry more.