Chapter 7

Jason's pov

I get home late from the studio and hear Todd laughing softly. I walk upstairs and peek into his room. My heart swells seeing this. He was sitting in Miranda's lap, both of them holding the book and she was teaching him to read the treasure planet book. "What's this word mama?" My breath catches in my throat. "Tackle." She says. He reads the next sentence in the book with a little trouble. But he's only four so that's expected. I push open the door. "Daddy! I'm reading!" He gasps excitedly jumping down and running over. I scoop him up. "I heard buddy. You're doing so good!" I say, smiling. I set him back in bed and I sit beside them. "One more chapter please mom!" He begs. I love hearing him say mom. "Ok. One more chapter but you better go to sleep after that." He giggles and nods and they read one more chapter together. He was starting to fall asleep on the last page of that chapter. She smiles and lays him in the bed. We go to our room. "You're so good with kids! That was adorable!" "That boy is really smart." I wish I could've been teaching him to read these few years. "Jason, when did you adopt him?" "I found him at 8 months old and the adoption became official a day before his first birthday." I say, sitting on the bed. "It's okay if he calls me mom right?" "Oh of course I love it." She sits beside me. I wrap an arm around her and she lays her head on my shoulder. Just then my phone buzzes. I glance at it and am surprised to see a text from her dad.

T: Are you busy tomorrow?

J: I doubt it.

T: Can you swing by my place so we can talk?

Ugh. Overprotective daddy.

J: ok man. But please don't go jumping down my throat.

T: Jeez I'm not. It's all good, Jason.

Phew. That's a relief.

J: ok Tim. I'll be there around noon.

T: Thanks. Oh and don't tell Miranda.

J: Ok.

*the next day*

Miranda takes Todd to his friend's house. Tanner. He lives just down the road. I take this opportunity to go to Tim's place. He was watching the news. "Hey Tim." I say, sitting beside him on the couch. He turns the TV off. "Jason, you're my friend and never in a million years would I thought you'd be dating my daughter." Uh oh. "I thought you said this was good." I mumble leaning back on the couch with a sigh. "It is. It's good. I mean it just it still is surprising. But I wish like hell I recorded her yesterday." "What?" I ask confused. "She was so lovey dovey yesterday talking about you. I feel so bad for being rude before." I smile, thinking about her. "Don't feel bad, man. She's your little girl. It's hard to let go." "You said it." He says, sighing and leaning back. Faith walks out. "I'm taking the girls to the stables to pick up the new horse." Tim and Faith share a kiss and she and the girls leave. "You and Faith are like the couple everyone wants to be like." He laughs.

Miranda's pov

Me and Jenny, Tanner's mom were on the porch talking while the kids played in their treehouse. "Jason deserves happiness. He's such a sweet kindhearted guy." I smile. "I'm glad we met. He makes me feel like the only girl in the world." "You know what that boy did for us?" "What?" "Our heater broke in the dead of winter and he fixed it at night. It was freezing cold. He also fixed a hole in our roof right before it started raining. He's one of my best friends." I smile. I'm really glad she told me that. I suddenly hear screaming. I stand up and run as fast as I can to the treehouse, Jenny on my heels. Todd was on the ground having trouble breathing. "Todd!" I screech terrified, scooping the poor baby boy up. "What happened Tanner?" Jenny asks shaking. "I don't know! He just collapsed!" Tanner cries with tears on his cheeks. "Jenny call Jason, I've gotta get Todd to the hospital."

Jason's pov

Me and Tim's conversation was interrupted when my phone rang. I gave him an apologetic smile and answer it. "Jenny?" "Jason! Thank God! Todd collapsed! Miranda's on the way to the hospital with him!" My whole body tenses. I drop the phone and run for the door. "Jason? What's wrong?" Tim calls. "No time! Gotta go!" I shout, jumping in my truck and driving like a bat out of hell to the hospital.

Miranda's pov

I'm shaking and pacing waiting for any news and Jason to get here. My boyfriend runs through the door, a panicked expression on his face. "What happened?" He looks furious. "H-He was in the treehouse with Tanner when we heard him scream. I'm so scared, Jason." He hugs me. I can tell he's trying not to cry. "I'm so so sorry, Jason." I whimper, crying against his shoulder. "Don't you say you're sorry. It wasn't noone's fault baby. You did great getting him to the hospital. I'm not mad at you and I don't blame you." He holds me and we look into each other's eyes. "Baby I love you." He says tilting my chin up and kissing me softly. A doctor walks out moments later. "I presume you're the father." He asks. Jason nods. "Please sir, is my son okay?" "Follow me." He holds my hand and we walk with the doctor. He's unconscious in a bed. Compared to the bed, he's so tiny. "T-Todd." Jason struggles to say as he collapses to his knees beside his son, holding his hand. "What's wrong with him doctor?" I ask shakily clasping my hands together. "Todd's been diagnosed with juvenile diabetes." Jason stands up and turns around. "Diabetes? Which means giving him shots every day? Oh God! He hates needles! What am I gonna do?!" He looks about to break down. "Don't worry sir, it's not full on. We caught it in time. He only needs an IV drip for a few weeks then he'll be good as new. You won't have to do needles everyday." He breathes a relieved sigh. "He's gonna be okay?" The doctor nods. "I promise. He'll live a normal life." That's a relief. "Thank the good Lord above." He whispers, cradling his young son. Todd opens his eyes. "Daddy?" He croaks. Jason chokes back tears. "Hey buddy, it's gonna be okay. You're gonna be okay." I sit beside him. "You did good, baby girl." He says hugging me. "At least he's gonna be okay." I say. He nods gladly. "I've always trusted in God. He knows what he's doing." I smile. "You're a great man, Jason." I say, smiling. He smiles too and kisses my forehead. "I try to do the right thing." "Jenny told me how you helped fix her heater and roof when it was freezing cold out." His eyes go wide. "Ha ha, she uh told ya all that?" He says, blushing. I nod. "I love you, Jason." "I love you too baby. Oh hey your dad likes me too." I'm so glad! He looks back down at Todd. "You're gonna be okay little man."