A Break

Miranda's pov

Dad walks in my room, holding my very young daughter. "Where's Todd?" I ask as Jason snoozes beside me. I gently lay a hand on his scruffed cheek. "Todd's at school." Dad says, handing Kate to me. "Jason's worn himself out with worry." I say, smiling sadly. Dad smiles too. "Ya think you can get him out?" "I don't know if he'll wanna leave you." "He won't. But he's got to. He needs a break." The nurse walks in to take me to my 3 hour radiation treatment.

Jason's pov

"Hey Jason, wake up." I hear. I groggily wake up, seeing my father in law standing beside me. "Oh hey." I sit up tiredly. "Where's-" "She's at a radiation treatment. Come on man, let's go." "Go where?" I gape rubbing the sleep from my eye. "We're getting you out of the hospital for a few hours." "We?" He nods. "Thanks but no thanks man. She needs me here." "She needs you to be okay." "I'm fine, man." I say standing up. I head down to the radiation room. She was reading a harry potter book. "That'll keep her busy." I mutter shaking my head with a smile. I pull a chair up. "Honey you need to get out of the hospital." She says. I force a smile. "I can't leave ya." I say, glancing at Kate asleep in her stroller. "Please Jason, you're so worried about me. Take the next three hours and relax. Have fun with dad. Get this shit... Get me being sick off your mind." "But... What if you need me and I'm not here?" I say worried. She smiles. "I'll be fine for a few hours, Jay." I reluctantly stand up. "OK... B-But call me... If something... Anything happens?" She smiles. "You'll be the first." I shakily hug her. "I love you, Miranda. With all my heart." I whisper, distraught, too quietly for her to hear.