4- Saying Goodbye

"Have a safe trip," Edward said kissing Emilys cheek.

"Come down and visit us soon," Daniel replied smiling.

"We will be down for Charlottes 26th in a month," Marie replied.

Emily stepped forward and hugged her, Marie holding her in a tight embrace.

"Have you spoken to Daniel?" She whispered in her ear.

Emily shook her head.

"Make sure you do. And look after yourself," she smiled pulling away.

"Thank you Marie, for everything."

Emily smiled and hugged her again before picking up Tayla off the floor.

"Say bye bye to nanny," she said to the two children.

"Bye nanny," Thomas smiled wrapping his arms around her legs.

Emily lifted Taylas hand and waved t around for her. She was little, she didn't understand the meaning of goodbye.

"Goodbye you two," Marie smiled planting a kiss on each of their foreheads. "Safe trip."

"We'll see you soon," Emily smiled.

Emily picked up the baby bag, and they headed out to the car. She strapped Tayla into her car seat and put the bag by the door. She got in the passenger seat and put down the window and waved. Daniel started the car and they pulled out of the driveway and drove down the highway.

"Are you okay?" Daniel asked looking away from the road momentatily.

"Yeah I'm fine," she replied.

"You don't seem fine. This still isn't about the whole baby thing is it?" He asked.

"Daniel I'm fine," she repeated more sternly.

She didn't want to talk to him about it. She was worried she might break down and tell him about the baby.

"Em please just talk to me," he begged.

"There is nothing to talk about. It's fine."

He sighed, knowing there was no point pushing it.

"Okay."

He kept on driving down the road into the sunset. An hour or two later they stopped for dinner, then continued the drive as Thomas and Tayla slept in the backseat. The car was quiet. But it wasn't a nice silence. It was awkward, there was underlying tension between Emily and him. She just kept staring out of the window into the starry night sky.

Moments passed and she closed her eyes, letting the sound of the tires spinning on the road lulling her to sleep. Her dreams were horrible.

She was standing in the kitchen of the beach house, Thomas was at school and Tayla upstairs napping. Daniel had just gotten home after a short day at work. She'd been to the doctor that morning and in her pocket was the first ultrasound of their baby.

"Daniel," she said shyly.

"What?!" He shot back anngrily. He had a bad day of work, his patience was short.

She shook her head frightened and froze.

"Emily what?" He said.

"It's nothing don't worry about it," she said taking a sip of herbal tea.

"It's not nothing, what is it?"

"I have something to tell you," she said looking away from him.

"Mhm," he said only half listening.

"I-I um...I don't know what to say."

"Spit it out Em," he said a little to harshly.

"I-I'm pre-" At that moment a shooting pain ripped through her abdomen and she screamed in agony.

She held herself up on the bench and clutched her stomach.

"Em!" Daniel yelled grabbing her from behind and holding her up. "What's wrong."

"M-my stomach," she stuttered.

In that moment she realised what was happening.

"T-the b-b-baby. Daniel the baby," she cried.

"W-what? What baby?"

He lowered her onto the ground and laid her in between his legs so she was leaning back onto him.

"T-the baby."

She reached into her pocket and pulled out the ultrasound photo.

"Something's wrong with the baby," she cried handing the picture to him.

"Oh shit," he muttered.

He pulled out his phone and dialed for an ambulance, but it was to late. They'd already lost their baby.

Emily awoke from her dream with a start and looked around. She recognised the stretch of road they were on; only moments from home. In fact she could see the lights of Grayson Manor in the distance.

"Em," Daniel said taking her hand and bringing her to reality.

She took a deep breath and looked over to him.

"You were dreaming," he said gently stroking her thumb.

She nodded, completely lost for words then briskly wiped away a tear she didn't know had made it's way down her cheek. She didn't know what to think or feel....

"Are you okay?" He asked interrupting her thought.

She nodded and looked back out the window as they passed the manor. Daniel knew she wasn't going to let her in, so she didn't push it. He wished she would though, just so he had some sort of idea of what was going on in her mind. He didn't know what else to say, or what to do.

His only option was to wait for her to let him in.