35- Awake

Daniel tucked a strand of Emilys hair behind her ear as he sat holding her hand. Her face was pale and her curly hair was pushed back on the pillow. She was connected to a heart monitor and had an oxygen pipe running under her nose letting air in.

Of course all these things were precautionary. The doctor had already said Emily would be able to go home in a weeks time, Daniel still hated seeing her like this though.

With one hand he took hers, and then rested his head on the other as he closed his eyes. He was exhausted and wanting to sleep. It was nearing mid-afternoon. Me wondered if either of his children knew that had a baby sister, or if anyone had been in contact with them at all.

It was silent for a few moments as Daniel rested his eyes, however a raspy voice made him look up instantly.

"Daniel," Emily whispered meeting eyes with him.

"Em baby. Thank god you're okay," he replied edging closer to her and squeezing her hand.

"W-what happened?" She asked reaching down and resting her hand where her baby bump was. You could see the panic in her eyes when she looked down and found nothing was there. "Daniel!"

"Darling calm down, it's alright."

"Where's our baby?!" She panicked. "Is our baby okay?!"

"Em calm down and I'll tell you what happened."

"I want my baby!" She cried trying to sit up.

Instantly pain shot through her stomach and she cried out and fell back down onto the bed.

"It's alright. It's alright, calm down," he whispered resting his hand lightly over her stomach. "The baby's okay."

The was all Emily needed to hear to calm down. She relaxed and took a few deep breaths as she rested her hand on Daniels.

"What happened?" She asked.

"Have a drink of water and I'll tell you," Daniel said noticing her dry lips. He gently bought the glass of water to her mouth and she drank quickly but carefully. Once she was done she looked at Daniel once again.

"Please Daniel. Tell me what happened," she begged.

"You lost consciousness again and the baby stopped getting oxygen. They had to do a c-section. The baby was born without a heart beat. It's okay though the doctors got her breathing and her heart beating after she was born," he explain.

"Her?" Emily asked as her eyes filled with tears.

"It's a girl," he smiled squeezing her hand.

Emily smiled widely and a few tears escaped her eyes.

"Is she okay?" Emily asked knowing her baby was a premie baby.

"She's fine, as long as her lungs develop properly she'll be okay. She's in the NICU, but the doctors are bringing her up here to stay with you in one of the oxygen cribs."

"Have you seen her yet?" Emily asked wiping a few tears.

"No, I've only been here. They said they'll bring the baby up soon."

Emily nodded and Daniel stood up and embraced her in a hug.

"God you gotta stop scaring me Em," he whispered into her hair.

"I'm sorry Daniel," she giggled. "I don't mean to."

"I'm just so glad you and our baby are okay. We've been lucky Em."

"Do the kids know?" She asked.

"I haven't spoken to them. I've been in here with you but I'm assuming dad called mum so she could tell the kids. I'll make sure they come later to see you."

Emily smiled and nodded greatly.

"What time is it?"

"3pm," he replied rubbing her cheek. "You look tired, do you want to sleep?"

"I want my baby Daniel," she whispered. "I just want my baby girl."