8- Telling the Children

Emily studied Daniels face as the specks of sunlight tried to get through the blinds and rested on his face. She loved watching him as he slept. He looked so peacful. What she loved most was his morning voice, and the tone he used when he spoke to her when he first woke up.

She sighed happily; happy that he was by her side and that he was always there for her. The last thing she wanted was for him to leave. He sighed and slowly opened his eyes.

"Good morning," she smiled.

"How can you wake up looking this beautiful?" He asked in his deep, morning voice.

She giggled as his voice rang through her ears.

"That's because you're still dreaming," she smiled.

"I like this dream," he chuckled bringing her closer to him.

He leaned over the top of her and started to kiss her, then slowly moved down to her neck.

"Daniel..." She giggled.

He laughed as he kept his lips against her neck. She shivered in delight as he continued and smiled.

"D-Daniel, enough....the kids will be awake soon."

"It's Saturday, Saturday is sleep in day."

Almost as soon as he spoke there was a knock on the door and they both looked up to see Thomas standing there.

"Good morning beautiful," Emily smiled.

"Hi mummy."

"Come and give daddy and I a cuddle," she said patting the bed.

He walked forward and then climbed into the middle of the bed between Emily and Daniel.

"How did you sleep?" Daniel asked.

"Good," he replied.

"Muma!" Tayla called out from across the hall; unable to escape the sides of her cot.

"I'll get her," Daniel said sliding out of the bed.

Emily smiled and then ran her hands through Thomas' soft hair. When he was born it was blonde, but as he'd grown it was turning brown; reminding her so much of Daniel.

"You're quiet this morning. What's wrong Thomas?" She asked.

"My teacher gave me a really hard book, and I don't know how to read it," he sulked looking up at her.

"Hey that's okay. Everyone finds something hard," she said. "I can help you read it."

"But I'm stupid!"

"Thomas don't you ever ever say that again!" She said sadly.

"It's true!"

She sighed and thought about what she needed to say next.

"Thomas do you know how all the people in your class are turning six this year? But you only turned five?"

He nodded.

"You're younger than them because your smart. So you're doing clever things at a higher level."

"Really?" He asked.

"Yeah of course. I used to find it hard to read books Thomas. But my daddy would help me. I can help you," she smiled.

"Can we read it tonight then? Will you help me with all the hard words?"

"Of course I will darling. That's my job."

She smiled and kissed his forehead and he hugged her. Daniel walked back in and sat tayla down on the bed next to Thomas.

"Muma," she giggled as she reached for Emilys face.

"Morning baby girl," she smiled.

"Stories?" She asked.

Her vocab consisted of few words. Thomas, Muma, Dada, grandma, grandpa, char, dec, stories, play, toys, tired, food and melia for Amelia.

"You want to read stories?" Emily asked.

Tayla nodded her head happily.

"Of course we can read stories," Emily smiled.

".....but mummy and I have to tell you both something first," Daniel interrupted.

Emily frowned.

"What Daniel?" She asked.

"Tell them," he said reaching for her stomach.

She smiled.

"Are you sure?....If we lose it....."

"We won't," he interrupted.

"What if they say something, before 12 weeks?" She asked.

"Thomas is mummy tells you a secret do you promise not to tell?"

He nodded his head furiously and looked at Emily. She smiled and then looked from Daniel down to Thomas.

"Thomas do you remember when I was pregnant with tayla?"

"Pregnant?" He asked.

"When she was in my tummy and I was going to have a baby?"

"A little," he said. "Why?"

"Well...." Emily smiled. "Right now there is a tiny, tiny baby in my tummy. Just like when tayla was in my tummy."

"Does that mean you are having a baby?" He asked puzzled.

"Yes. You'll get a brother or another sister," she smiled.

He gasped and smiled.

"I hope it's a boy!" He cheered with a wide grin across his face.

Emily smiled and giggled slightly at his joy.

"We don't get to pick Thomas," she laughed.

She rested her hand against her stomach and he put his small hand on top of hers. He was mezmarised and completely in love with the idea.

"Soon my tummy will get big as the baby grows," she smiled.

They laid in silence as Thomas happily played around with her stomach.

"Baby?" Tayla asked breaking the silence.

Emily gasped and looked up at her.

"Do you say a new word beautiful," she smiled.

"Baby," she repeated.

"Yeah a baby in mummy's tummy," Daniel said.

She smiled widely and giggled as Emily smiled.

"Is it exciting Thomas?" Daniel asked.

He nodded happily.

"It is isn't it," Emily smiled.

"You just have to remember not to tell anyone okay?" Daniel asked.

"I promise daddy," he smiled looking up at Daniel.

"Alright we need to get up, we are going to have lunch with Grandma,' Emily said swinging her legs off the bed and standing up.

"Mummy can I have a shower with daddy before we go?" Thomas asked.

"Alright, well you better be quick."