34- Emergency

"Not here. Please not in here!" Daniel yelled over the yelling of the doctors and he ran his hands through his hair.
"Mr Grayson we need to get the baby out now. We don't have time to move your wife to an operating theatre. Unless we get the baby out now it will die," one of the nurses said.

Daniel ran his hands all over his face in a panic as he looked at Emily unconscious body. Doctors had already lifted the hospital gown and were beginning to prep for a c-section.

"What's wrong with her?" He asked.
"Mr Grayson you need to leave the room," the same nurse said trying to guide him to the door.
"What is wring with her?!" He repeated more angrily.
"Daniel just let the doctors do their jobs," Charlotte said grabbing on his arm and taking him into the hallway.

The door to the room was shut immediately and Daniel could no longer see what was going on.

"Shit shit shit," he mumbled beginning to pace the hallway.
"Daniel just calm down," Charlotte said trying to get his attention.
"What if she's not okay?" He panicked and he leant against the wall, eventually sliding down it until his bum hit the ground.
"Don't think like that Daniel. The doctors are going to do everything they can to help her. Please stay positive."

Daniel buried his face in his hands and Charlotte put her arms around him trying to soothe him.

"5 fricken hours ago everything was fine," Daniel mumbled. "And now we are here."
"Daniel it's going to be fine."
"I can't do anything without Emily Char. Em has to be okay."
"Emily was fine when we left that room, it's the baby who's life is hanging in the balance. Please stay positive."

Charlotte rubbed his back and pulled out her phone.

"I'm going to call dad okay?"

Daniel nodded and Charlotte explained the situation to Conrad over the phone while staying beside Daniel. When she hangs up she feels Daniels body start to shake slightly.

"Daniel don't cry," Charlotte begged resting her head on his shoulder.
"I just need her to be okay," he sobbed slightly.

Charlotte had never seen her brother cry such a deep and meaningful cry. He was always the strong one but right now she needed to be strong for him.

"Danny it's alright. You'll know soon enough," she comforted, but she was really running out of things to say. "Just be positive and think about something different."

They sat there in silence for a little longer until all of a sudden a nurse burst out of the room with a tiny baby in her arms.
"My baby," Daniel called standing up to follow the nurse.

The nurse paid no attention to Daniel and kept running down the hall. It was in that moment Daniel realised.

"The baby wasn't crying," he mumbled slumping back down next to Charlotte.

Not long after more nurse rushed Emily out of the room on a gurney. Both Daniel and Charlotte stood up but Charlotte held Daniel back from chasing after her. Not long after Conrad ran in the doors.

"Daniel!" He called embracing his son in his arms. "Where's Em."
"I don't know. They just took her," Daniel mumbled into Conrad's shoulder.
"Where son?"
"That way," he said pointing down the hall while wiping away his tears. "The baby too."

Like Charlotte, Conrad wanted to be positive.

"Congratulations Daniel....about the baby. It's wonderful," he said forcing a smile. "It'll be okay. I'm sure a doctor will talk to you soon. Just come sit down for a bit okay?"

Daniel followed Conrad to the waiting room and sat down, telling Conrad what happened. Eventually Daniel closed his eyes. It wasn't late but his worry had exhausted him. No sooner did he realise he was woken up by Conrad shaking him awake.

"Mr Grayson," the doctor repeated making Daniel shoot up.
"That's me," he replied quietly walking toward the doctor.

Conrad and Charlotte stood behind Daniel, eager for news.

"Follow me Mr Grayson," the doctor said leading them down the corridor and back I to the room Emily had been laying in 2 hours earlier.

"How long was I asleep for?" Daniel quietly mumbled to Charlotte.
"An hour and a bit," she replied as they entered the room.

There was no sign Emily had been in here at all. The heart monitor was gone, and so was all the sheets off the bed.

"I've got good and bad news for you," the doctor said as they all sat down. "Congratulations, you've got a little girl."

Daniel looked down and smiled slightly, atleast one good thing had come out of the situation.

"Congrats Danny," Charlotte smiled as Conrad gave him a pat on the back.
"How is she?" Daniel asked.
"She was born without a heartbeat, however the doctors managed to get one going soon after she was born."

Daniel sighed with relief.

"She's in the NICU for now, and will be for a week or two until her lungs are developed enough to stand the air. After that, we will probably keep her for another week to monitor her for any infection," the doctor continued.
"What about Em?" Daniel asked.
"Your wife should make a full recovery. We've put her into intensive care only because we've given her a massive dose antibiotics due to the fact that she had major surgery without being in the operating theater. Obviously all the hospital rooms are clean but we don't want to take any chances and end up with a blood infection."

Daniel nodded.

"You can go up to her soon."
"Why did the baby's heartbeat stop?" Charlotte asked curiously.
"The baby list oxygen because the same thing that occurred this morning while you were at work Mr Grayson occurred again."
"Can the baby come out of the NICU? Em is going to want her as soon as she wakes up," Daniel explained.
"Look. Your daughter is going to be on an oxygen pump for at least the next two weeks. She is a premie baby so her lungs are under developed. If we plan it and up the dosage of oxygen every now and then, then as long as your daughter is still getting oxygen she'll be able to be with your wife."
"So she can't be with Em permanently then?" Charlotte asked knowing Emily wouldn't like that at all.
"We can put one of the oxygen cribs in your wife room. The baby can stay there but will only be able to leave the crib only for so long per day. We can't afford to disturb the development of her lungs."
"I understand that. But please, I want the crib in the room with Em."

The doctor nodded.

"Can I go see Em now?" Daniel asked.
"I'll take you up to her mr Grayson."
"Thank you for all your help," he replied shaking the doctors hand.
"No problem."

The doctor lead Daniel, Charlotte and Conrad back out of the room then to the elevator. They went up to level 3 and then the doctor lead them to the door of Emilys room. Daniel could already see Emily through the glass window and he just wanted to go in.

"She should be waking up soon. There is a high chance she's going to panic when she realises she's not pregnant so just calm her down and get her to relax. The baby will be in here shorty," the doctor said opening the door for Daniel to go in.

"Daniel we will give you a moment," Conrad said as himself and Charlotte sat down opposite the glass window.

Daniel nodded and walked inside.