39- Good News

"Test results show that she's doing better than expected," the doctor said.

Emily smiled and looked down at the baby sleeping on her chest.

"We are looking at taking away her oxygen pipe early next week, and then if she reacts well to that we will take her out of the oxygen crib for a longer amount of time. If she continues to improve as much as she has this week then she should be home in another two weeks."

"Oh my goodness," Emily smiled looking at Daniel.

"That's great," he smiled taking her hand.

"When you are discharged Mrs Grayson, we are planning to take her back up to the NICU until she is ready to leave. We need to keep a close watch for infection."

Emily nodded.

"So what's the story with her lungs? Em had her at 30 weeks, shouldn't we wait until Em would've been 35 weeks?" Daniel asked.

"Although a Amber was born at only 30 weeks, she has the lungs of a baby born at 33 thanks to the way your wife kept herself during the pregnancy."

Daniel squeezed Emilys shoulders lightly and she looked up to him as he smiled at her.

"So, in two weeks we are confident your daughter will be strong enough so go back home. This is sketchy so things can change but this is how it looks at the moment. After that you're still looking at hospital visits every second day for a week and then weekly visits until you were originally due Mrs Grayson."

Amber whimpered and squirmed around on Emily, eventually letting out a cry.

"You're alright," Emily whispered sitting up slightly and laying her in her arms, rather than against her chest.

"She's hungry," Daniel said gently stroking her cheek.

Emily knew, but she wasn't going to feed her baby until the doctor left. She didn't particularly mind but Daniel might, and she didn't want a doctor judging her on how she feeds her baby. Emily was due to be discharged the following day, so she was moving a lot better and was in less pain. She sat up and began rocking Amber back and forth waiting for the doctor to leave.

"I'll leave you with it," the doctor said heading for the door. "Page me if you need anything."

"Thank you doctor," Daniel said looking up.

The doctor left the room and emily adjusted the hospital gown and let Amber feed.

"I'm so proud of you," Daniel whispered leaning down and kissing Emilys head.

"Why?" She giggled looking up.

"Because we could have a very sick baby right now but you prevented that by looking after yourself."

"I had to look after myself. We were having our baby," she smiled.

"Thank you. I love you."

"I love you too."

"She loves you," Daniel said looking down at Amber.

"Well she better!" Emily giggled. "I'm her mother!"

Daniel chuckled and Emily looked down at Amber.

"I love you baby girl," she whispered planting a kiss in her forehead as she stopped feeding.

Emily began rubbing her back gently trying to soothe her to sleep.

"You take her," she said handing her to Daniel. "She wants her daddy."

Daniel smiled and stood up, then walked around the room rocking her to sleep.

"I love it when her little eyes get heavy," he chuckled. "It makes her look so adorable."

"Why? Because her eyes are like half open half closed until she finally gives up on trying so stay awake," Emily giggled.

"Pretty much."

Amber curled her little hand into a fist and Daniel grabbed the pacifier gently placing it in her mouth.

"She is out like a light," he said as her eyes finally closed.

Emily smiled as Daniel laid her back down in the crib letting her sleep.