31- Daniel

"D-daddy?" Thomas asked sobbing into the phone.

"Thomas baby is that you?" Daniel asked back.

"S-something's wrong w-with m-mummy," he cried harder knowing it was Daniel on the other end of the phone.

Panic shot through Daniel immediately.

"What do you mean darling. Put mummy on the phone for me," Daniel said trying his best to stay calm.

"She won't wake up," he cried. "I came downstairs and she was on the floor and now she won't wake up!"

"Is mummy breathing?" Daniel was trying his best to mask his panic as he ran his hands through his hair.

"I don't know."

"Put your hand next to mummy's mouth and tell me if you can feel her breathe."

"I can feel it daddy," he replied as he sniffed from crying.

Daniel sighed slightly with relief and grabbed his car keys.

"Okay buddy good job. I want you to stay with mummy. I'm coming home now. I'm going to call the doctors to come to the house to help mummy so if they knock on the door you need to let them in okay?"

"Please just hurry daddy. I'm scared," he sobbed.

"I know darling. It's alright. I'm coming now, just stay calm. Once I've finished talking to the doctors I'll call you."

"Okay," Thomas sniffed.

"Good boy Thomas."

Daniel hung up the phone and quickly ran out of his office and down the stairs to his car. As he got in he dialed triple zero and put the phone on hands free.

"Triple zero what's your emergency?" The operator asked.

"I need an ambulance, my wife has collapsed at the house."

"Sir what's your name please?"

"Daniel Grayson."

The operator put his name into the system and the address to the beach house popped up instantly.

"Mr Grayson an ambulance is on it's way now. What seems to be the problem with your wife?"

"I'm not sure exactly. I'm at work and my five year old called me in tears telling me that Em collapsed and won't wake up."

"Mr Grayson do you know if she's breathing?"

"When I spoke to Thomas a few minutes ago she was."

"Any medical issues?"

"She's 30 weeks pregnant and has had low blood pressure in the last week," he said.

"How far away from your house are you Mr Grayson?"

"Two minutes," he replied.

"Okay you're going to get there before the paramedics. When you get to your wife I need you to do three things for me. Make sure she's breathing, then you need to move her onto her side with her neck extended so that she won't choke. After you've done that I want you to try and get her to wake up okay?"

"Okay," he replied pulling onto the street.

"The paramedics are going to be another five minutes okay Mr Grayson."

"I'm at the house now," he said getting straight out of his car and sprinting for the door.

"I'm going now Mr Grayson. I hope your wife is okay."

"Thank you for all your help."

"Daddy!" Thomas cried standing up and running towards him as Daniel ran in the door and toward Emilys limp and pale body.

"It's alright baby," he replied picking him up and then rushing straight over to Emily.

"What's wrong with mummy?" He sobbed as he buried his face into Daniels shoulder.

"I don't know baby," he replied trying to stay calm. "I need you to stand up for me so I can help mummy."

Daniel let go of Thomas and Thomas stood up of Daniel. gently Daniel rolled Emily onto her side.

"Em babe. Emily can you hear me?"

He crouched low and rubbed her stomach before rubbing her cheek. "Em babe you need to wake up.

Emily weakly opened her eyes and groaned unable to speak.

"Babe can you hear me?"

When Emily forced herself to look up her vision was blurry but she knew the figure crouching in front of her was Daniel. She slowly nodded her head.

"It's alright Em. Help is coming."

She tried to reach for his hand but her arm just dropped to the ground.

"I'm here," Daniel said taking her hand in his.

"B-baby," she whispered horsely.

"You and the baby are going to be fine." Daniel comforted.

"Baby before m-me."

"Don't talk like that Emily. You will both be fine."

"Promise?"

Daniel knew what she was trying to say even though her words were limited. No matter what happened she wanted the baby to survive over her.

He nodded, knowing that's what she wanted. He heard the ambulance pull up out the front of the house.

"I'm just getting the door," he said standing up and opening the door for the paramedics.

They all rushed in and around Emily. Some connected her up to machines and needles while two others placed her on a stretcher. The paramedics already knew who they were dealing with; that being Emily Grayson.

Emilys eyelids began to droop again and she reached for Daniels hand again. He felt her weak grip but he squeezed her hand back as she closed her eyes.

"Ms Grayson try and keep your eyes open for me," one of the paramedics said as they lifted the stretcher.

"Where are you talking her?" Daniel asked.

"Suffolk Memorial. Are you coming with her?" One replied.

"My kids, I need to stay here with them. Ill drop them at my parents and then come," Daniel replied quietly as Thomas hugged his leg still crying.

"If you're not there Mr Grayson and a decision has to be made who's life comes first?"

"The baby's."