17- Bad Back

Emilys back twinged again and she leaned against the bench to help support herself. Recently her back had been bad but she didn't mind it to much, she knew it meant her baby was growing and she liked that.

"Mummy what's wrong?" Thomas asked noticing the painful expression on her face as he walked into the kitchen.

"Hey you're home, how was school?" She asked.

"It was good. Mummy what's wrong?" He asked again.

"Nothing baby I'm fine."

She forced a smile and stood up straight off the bench. Thomas nodded and out down his school bag then wandered into the living room.

"Where's Tayla?"

"She's upstairs sleeping. Where's daddy?"

"I think he was coming inside."

Emily made her way to the front lounge and looked out the window to see Daniel talking to their neighbor. She rested her hand in the small of her back and walked back into the living room when she heard Tayla start to cry.

She cringed slightly as she walked up the stairs and into the nursery. When she walked in she realised Tayla was still asleep. She was kicking and flailing around obviously in the midst of a nightmare.

"Tayla honey," Emily whispered walking toward the cot.

Her back ached but she couldn't leave Tayla like this.

"Hey baby, mummy is here. It's alright."

She bent down and stroked Taylas cheek trying to wake her up. Slowly the screaming stopped as well as the kicking. Tayla slowly blinked a couple of times and then sat up looking at Emily with tears still trickling down her cheeks.

"Baby girl," Emily said picking her up and sitting Tayla on her hip.

Tayla was quick to bury her face into Emily's neck as slowly the crying stopped.

"Shhhh."

Emily rubbed her back and hummed to her to calm her down.

"Do you want to go back to sleep? You're still tired," she whispered.

Tayla shook her head but kept it rested on Emily's shoulder.

"Daddy came home from work. Let's go say hi okay?"

As Emily walked out of the nursery she kept one hand behind her back supporting herself, while keeping the other arm on Tayla.

When she made her way down the stairs Daniel immediately saw her pain.

"Em what's wrong?" He asked.

"Just my back." she shook her head not wanting him to worry.

"Then why have you got Tayla?!"

"She had a bad dream. She won't go back to sleep."

Daniel took Tayla from her arms and Emily sighed as the pressure was released from her back.

Tayla didn't like it though. She started squirming and crying trying to get back to Emily.

"Baby girl I'm still here," she said stepping next to Daniel and stroking Taylas forehead.

"Mummy," she said through tears.

Emily sighed and took Tayla back from Daniel; chewing her lip as her back ached.

"Em sit down at least."

Daniel put his hands behind her back and tried his best to help support her as she walked over to the sofa.

"That's better," he said as she sat and leaned back against the couch.

"Thank you," she whispered quietly.

He sat down beside her and she rested her head against his shoulder.

"You should see a doctor if your back is that bad," he whispered.

"I'll be okay."

"Well you at least need to stop lifting things."

She nodded as he kissed her forehead.

"How was your day?" Daniel asked her.

"It was alright. I didn't do much. I tried to clean and do the washing but my back wasn't letting me."

"That's okay. I can do that."

"How was your day?"

"Same as always. I'd rather be here with you. I would've been here if I had've known your back was this bad."

"I was alright."

He nodded and then sighed.

"What do you want for dinner?"

"I can deal with that. You should be resting and doing nothing," he replied.

"Thank you. I don't know what I'd do without you."