Chapter 20: Together Finally

Sam:

"You were too harsh with her," I hear Tanner say as we entered our next class.

"I don't care," I spat out. "She means nothing to me," I tell him as I took my seat.

"You and I both know that's not true," he reminded me. "You care about her, and she just admitted how she felt about you."

"A little too late," I grunt out. "I can't believe it was that Noah kid! I mean I knew he had a thing for her, but I didn't know he was going to be her admirer!" I bellow out. "She said yes, Tanner!"

"I know, I heard you," he said to me. "But come on, she couldn't have said no. Noah did it in class, where everyone could have heard, so maybe she got nervous and―"

"Yes, she could! She could have looked over at me and get her response, but no! She chose him, so I'm done."

"Okay, who cares if she did! She told you how she felt and she literally left the guy and ran to find you!" He pointed out. My heart warmed up. That's true. "If you lose her it'll all be on you, and the moment you want her back, it'll be too late." I nod my head. "Now, when the class is over, you are going to try to find her and apologize for crumbling her heart, literally." I look over at him and gave him a weak smirk.

"Thanks, Tanner, let's hope Paisley realizes how much of a good guy you really are," I tell him as the teacher walked in.

"I hope so too," he sighed.

*

I couldn't find her at all for the rest of the day. I was finally going to give up my search until I found her at her locker. I ran to her and got by her side. She looks over at me before looking away.

"Samantha," I began. "I know what I did was terrible, but I was hurt and―"

"So you wanted to hurt me in the process?" She questioned me as she closed her locker door.

"No-well, yes, but I messed up." I look into her green eyes and she looked away. Ugh! This isn't working! I don't know how to speak to her when I'm nervous. "What I'm trying to say is that I didn't mean to be so rough with you, and I was over exaggerating."

"You broke my heart," she let out softly. "I know what I did wasn't right with me feeling the way I do towards you, but I couldn't say no to someone who has been putting an effort to be with me. Noah has been trying; meanwhile, all you have done was ignore me for a month and crumble my heart. You getting jealous is not my problem! You can't be putting all the blame on me when you should have tried!" She released out as her eyes watered up. "I wasn't going to wait for you anymore...I've waited and nothing happened."

"Hey," I hear next to me and I turn to find Noah. "Is everything okay?"

"We're fine, we're talking so if you don't mind," I tell him still looking into her eyes.

"Sure," Noah responded as he moved away.

"I like you, more than you imagine," I tell her as I reached out for her hand.

"Not enough, though," she says as she pulls her hand away. Her tear finally slid down and my heart began to break. "I-I have to go."

"No, wait," I started again.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Sam," she tells me as she walked towards Noah. His eyes caught mine before they walked away. I watched as he took her books from her and wrapped his arm around the back of her shoulders. Fuck.

*

Next day:

I woke up early to go the store to buy her something. She might have said yes to him, but that doesn't mean I can't get her anything to show her how much I care. When I found the perfect gift, I hurried to school to find her with her groupie.