Chapter 6: All Alone

Paisley:

I was taking notes in class when all the sudden Principle Richardson interrupted.

"I'm sorry, but I need to speak to one of your students," he said out.

"Of course," my teacher answered. I look down at my paper not worried that it was me who he was wanting to talk to, so I continued with writing down the notes from the PowerPoint.

"Paisley," he called out. My heart dropped. I look up at him. "Please come with me." I look at my teacher and she nods her head. I collected my belongings and followed him out.

"Did I do something?" I ask him as he walked in front of me. He didn't answer me. "Mr. Richardson?"

"No," he says as he turned to look at me. "I need to tell you something, but in the conference room so we can be alone."

I nod my head and followed him. He opened the door to the main office and then the door across from his office. I entered the conference room and he took a seat, so I took mine.

"Okay, I'm listening," I tell him.

"I've got news, and they aren't so good," he started out.

"Just spit it out, I can take it," I assured him.

He closed his eyes and sighed. "Paisley, I got news about your mom."

"My mom?" I say out making my heart race now. "W-what happened to her? Was she in an accident? Is she hurt? Do I have to go see her at the hospital?" I question out.

"No, you don't have to go see her," he tells me softly. He hasn't been able to look at me. His focus was on the table.

"Then what happened to her?" I ask him.

"Paisley, your mother, she's dead," he tells me.

I eye him carefully. "You're joking, right?" I ask him. He finally looked up at me and his eyes were red. "No," I say shaking my head. "No! She can't!" I cry out. I stand up.

"Please, sit back down."

"I can't! I need to go home and see her!" I say as tears fall.

"You can't go home anymore," he explained to me. "You are not going anywhere near that house."

"What do you mean?" I ask him. "What's going on?" I say as I run my fingers through my hair.

"Paisley, your mom and dad were in a situation with some bad people."

"How would you know?"

"I know because your mom told me," he explained. He took out a folded up paper from inside his coat. He handed it to me. "This is what your mom got in the mail one day."

I unfolded it and read it out. "You didn't do your assignment on time, now you're going to pay. Be prepared in just two days, Natalie, because I'm coming for you, but if you say a single word to anyone, I'll be coming for your daughter too." "She got this in the mail two days ago?" He nodded his head. "And she brought it to you?"

"Yes, which is why you're in danger now," he admitted.

Tears formed in my eyes again. "How are you so sure? They might have been bluffing."

"No," he shook his head. "Tanner found this, this morning." He took out the letter and handed it back to me.

I read it out. "Her time was up, now don't you worry, do what I say and you'll save Paisley. I'll send you a letter tomorrow, so be aware. You won't have much time, but its enough to save her. The decision is up to you. Will you save her or will you let her rot in the ground like her foolish mother?" I look down at my hands to find them shaking. Was I shaking this whole time? I watched as a tear hit my left hand. I looked up at Mr. Richardson to find him staring at me.