Chapter 5: The Letter

As we entered we begin filling in the empty seats. Amy departed herself from Samantha and me. She went to go sit next to a girl from our volleyball team. Samantha and I took a seat in the back and got ourselves comfortable.

"Hi Paisley," I hear someone say next to me. I turn my head and see Tanner's friend, Sam.

"Hi," I say with a smile. "How have you been?"

"Good, this is just a little strange that the class is filled," he commented with a smile.

I see him take a look behind me and his smile fell. He clears his throat and looks away. I turn to Samantha and was looking away too. My goodness, these two are like a fighting couple.

"Okay, students! Since we have a combination of two different classes then I can't really teach," the teacher admitted. So this is your lucky day, there will be no class, but you must stay in class. Everyone began to cheer. Samantha started talking to someone from our class, so I turn back to Sam to find him looking at Samantha again.

"You like her," I say softly. He moves his gaze to me and shakes his head. Then why do you keep looking at her? He nods his head over to the corner of the room. We stood up and headed over there.

"Okay, so, do you want to know why Samantha and I are mad?"

"Yes, please! She doesn't want to tell me!" I say a little louder than I wanted. I made sure she didn't hear me, and she didn't.

"Well, it all happened during summer break. I was walking my five-year-old brother to my place, and from a distance, I could hear yelling. So I turned around and saw a miniature car, you know the ones kids can drive on their own," he explained and I nodded my head. "Well, that car was speeding down the hill and it broke down on my property. That car almost hit my brother and me."

He paused and looked over my shoulder. I turn around to find her still talking to the same guy. I think it's bothering him a little.

"Continue," I tell him. He nods his head and looks back at me.

"Well, I went to confront her. She was with a little girl around the same age as my brother. She looked frightened. I started to tell her how irresponsible she is for driving too quickly on a downhill and how she could have hurt us."

"Understandable," I agreed.

"But, I kept pushing her to feel guilty for almost running us over that she slapped me. I was surprised by it. I guess I went too far, and ever since then, we haven't spoken." I give out a small laugh. "Why are you laughing?"

"This story is hilarious," I let out with a laugh.

"Hey, guys, what's going on?" I hear Samantha ask out next to me.

"I told her why we don't talk anymore," Sam answered her. "She found it funny."

Samantha nods her head and looks back over at me. "Well, it wasn't funny, it was serious," she tells me.

"I know, I'm sorry," I say as I try to keep in another giggle.

"So, how is your brother?" Samantha asks him.

"He's fine, yesterday he told me that he saw the girl in the car in his class."

"Oh really?" Samantha smiled. "I hope he's not acting like we are," she laughed.

"The opposite actually, they're close actually," he commented making her laugh more.

They begin to laugh together and yet again, I felt like the third wheel. I back away and started heading to my seat. I watched from afar that Sam was getting closer to her. He does like her, and I'm sure of it. The more I watched them, the happier I got for her. They look great together. I watched as Sam handed her his phone and she began typing in. Did she just give him her number? I felt my mouth drop open. They then started making their way back over to their seats. I was now separating them.