Chapter 9: Memory Lane

I wake up with pain in my lower back and neck. Did I really just wake up in the movie room and in the dress from last night? I get off of the chair and began making my way to my room. I walk up silently down the hallway and into my room. I look over at the clock by the bedside that read 8:30 A.M. This is too early for a Saturday. I strip out of the dress and put on my pajamas instead. I crawled into bed and closed my eyes. I doubt I'll sleep much, but it'll be better than anything.

By the time I woke up, it was 12:30. I stretched out from under the covers. That nap was so refreshing. I get out of bed and go to my closet to fetch some clothes out. I head over to the bathroom to take a quick shower, but the door was closed. Tanner must be using it. I knock on the door and no one answered. I knocked harder and the door opened up revealing a very wet and attractive Tanner with a towel around his waist.

"I–" I let out before shutting up and looking away from him. I knew my cheeks were flushed. I was too concentrated on his body for me to let out a sentence. This is embarrassing!

"You can go in now," he whispered in my ear behind me. I just nodded my head. I watched as he passed by me and entered his room. Ugh, worst day ever. I hurry into the restroom and started the water. Let's hope the rest of the day won't be like this.

*

"You missed breakfast", Tanner tells me as I opened the restroom door making me jump. At least he was dressed now.

"Yeah, I've noticed by the time," I tell him as I passed him to get to my room, but he reached out to me and turned me to look at him. I was frozen in place. My heart was racing and the only thing I could do was look into his big brown eyes.

"I need to show you something I found today," he tells me with a smile.

I didn't say anything, I couldn't. He takes my hand in his and pulled me to his room. "Oh no," I thought to myself. He sits me down on his undone bed and I stayed put like a good girl. I did look around to find a guitar placed by the window and a family photo on his bedside.

"This," he says taking out a box and placing it on the bed next to me. He sat next to the box and opened it up. "I can't believe I actually kept this," he laughed.

"What is it?" I finally spoke out. His eyes caught mine again and his smile grew.

"This is our memory box from first grade," he says pleased with himself.

"You kept a memory box of the two of us?" I say happily. "That's so sweet."

He begins moving some items around and finally took out a paper. He laughed out and turned it to me. It was a really messy colored flower that I signed. On the bottom, it said, to my bestest, best friend ever! From, Paisley. I clearly didn't know that 'bestest', wasn't a word at the time, but it was a nice gesture. He took out another item and it was a Polaroid photo of him and me around bluebonnets. I mean come on, we live in Texas! Who doesn't take a picture with bluebonnets? It's our state flower after all.

"You look cute," he pointed out to me.

"So did you," I comment out.

"Oh, did? Don't you mean that I still do?" He says out cocky. I stay quiet. "I mean I did make you speechless a few minutes ago."

"Don't be all dramatic, I just woke up and I wasn't functioning," I tell him. "Now, what's next?" He set the photo aside and took out another paper. He opened it and I see his eyes skimming through it. "Well? What is it?"

He cleared his throat and straightened himself. "Dear Tanner, I can't believe we're in middle school! Can you believe it? No, okay. Well, anyways, don't mind my ugly handwriting because I can say so much about yours if you attack mine. Yes, this is a threat." Tanner peaked over at me and raised an eyebrow.