Chapter 4: Detective Work

I walked into my first class and took my seat. It was normal to find new people entering the class the first week because of the changed schedules some students get. As I was writing down the objective of the day as I was taught to do in elementary, I hear the chair beside me squeak. I turn my head and find Josh.

"You," I say roughly.

"Yes me," he answered back normally. "I need you to explain to me everything you know about the texts."

"Excuse me? I don't need to explain something that you did."

"That's the thing," he answered me softly. "I didn't text her anything because I lost my phone in one of my classes."

"Yeah, sure," I rolled my eyes.

"I swear, cross my heart, hope to die, poke a needle–"

"Okay, sure, let's says say you did, why didn't you try calling her?"

"I did! She doesn't want to take any of my calls. Please help me," he says distraught.

"I don't know," I say looking back at my notebook.

"Paisley, yesterday Amy and I during lunch were talking about how happy we are together as a couple and how much fun we have when we go on our dates...I even suggested us to have a double date with you and Tanner."

"Yeah, we aren't doing that anymore," I added quickly before he spoke again.

"I noticed," he nodded his head. "But, I really truly do like Amy and there would be no way I would want to jeopardize that."

"So, you've never complained because she's always on your back?" I ask him since that's what he texted Amy.

"What? No way! I like it because that's what keeps me going on the right path, I like it when she corrects me." He smiled out like a child. I trust him.

"Okay, so what's the plan?"

"We find my phone. I'm going to put my number in your contacts, okay?"

"Okay," I shrugged. "And how are you going to find it?"

"By tracking it," he answered me sitting up. "Can I borrow your phone?" I nod my head. I hand it over and I let him do whatever he had to do. "Okay, I just logged in, and I'm tracking it now." I peek over at the phone and we see a light flashing. "Well, it's here at school. When this class ends, I'll go on an investigation."

"With my phone?" I question him.

"Yeah...I promise I won't lose it."

"I don't know," I shrugged feeling a little overprotected of my property.

"Come with me," he advises me. I bite my lower lip debating if I should be late to a class or not.

"Okay," I agreed.

"Thanks, Paisley," he smiled at me.

He placed my phone on top of the desk but placed papers on it to hide it. He said that whenever his phone moves, it'll vibrate. Throughout the class period, my phone would vibrate and we knew why. We just had to wait until this class was over to investigate.

Once the bell rung, we quickly collected our belongings and made a dash out the hallway. We began tracking the movement. As we followed the trail, we would constantly run into people, but that wasn't on our mind right now. I look around for people who have their phones out, but I saw many of them. We are currently in our school territory. I look at the people who were talking away, and my eyes catch Amy. She was talking to a boy. A boy I have never seen before.