Chapter 14: Same Old Tanner

Tanner:

"So is it true? That she shot herself because she wanted something that is mine?" I hear Tonia say behind me. I froze and I quickly look back towards my dad to find him following Paisley out of the school.

"What did you just say?" I say angrily as put my full attention towards Tonia

"You heard me, "she smiled widely. "I can't believe how desperate she really is," she snickered. "Well, at least you found out now before you made a mistake and return to her," she tells me as she wraps her arms around my waist. "Now we can be together, just the two of us."

I push her back, and I hear her scoff out. "What the hell is wrong with you?! I never asked you to be my girlfriend and I know it was you who started these rumors!" I say with revolt. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest.

"I thought you loved me," she says out softly.

"No, Tonia, I have never fallen in love with you and I don't plan on to anytime soon," I explain to her and began to walk out of the school. I rush out the next set of doors to find my dad driving off to follow the ambulance.

Shit.

*

When I got home from school I found my dad's car at our drive-thru. I hurried inside to find dad walking with blankets to the guest room downstairs.

"What's going on?" I questioned him as I threw my backpack off of my shoulder and setting it on the tiled floor.

"Paisley is staying in this room until she gets better," he sighed. I followed behind him and looked inside the room to find Paisley sleeping.

"How is she?" I whispered out as I watched my dad cover her up with the blanket.

"She's fine," he answered me. "She needs to rest until she feels more comfortable."

"What about school? You know how she is with school," I reminded him.

"Well, she already agreed with not going," he said out to me. "The doctor told her that the longer she's moving around when she shouldn't be then the longer it will take her to get better. Now, come to my office, we have something to discuss," he tells me sternly. I nod my head and followed him to his office across the room.

"Is something else a matter?" I questioned him worriedly.

"Yes, I don't like the rumors that are floating around the school about Paisley," he tells me roughly. "I know you know who started them."

"Why would I?" I ask him as I crossed my arms. "Why should I know?"

"Because you know everything about everyone, so tell me."

"I'm not telling you anything," I responded back. "I'm your son and she isn't anything to you."

"She is my responsibility! She might not be my daughter by blood, but in a way, I will treat her like one because I was told to." I look away from him. "Do you even care about Paisley?"

"Of course I do!"

"Then show it! You might be acting like you're worried about her now, but the both of know that its because your conscience won't let you sleep for leaving her side when I told you not to! If nothing were to happen to her you would be treating her like shit." I sat there silently. "I know you too well, son. It's time for you to grow up!"

I slam my hands down unto his desk. "You don't know what I feel! But since you are so curious, I'll tell you! I'm in love with her."

"That's another thing! You cant play with every girl's emotions, Tanner!"