Chapter 11- Percy

Start from the beginning

"Yes, actually." Percy said. The question wasn't related to what she had just said, but he had to ask her that anyway. "Professor, I suppose you know about me being a..." he trailed off, not wanting to say it aloud in fear of someone overhearing.

She nodded curtly.

"I met your mother, who explained everything to me. I was shocked at first after seeing her after so long. We all thought that she was as good as dead. I taught her and James, you know."

James? If Percy's memory served well, James was-

"Harry Potter's father." Professor McGonagall supplied.

How did he come into the picture?

"Excuse me Professor, but what does he have to do with all of this. Why'd his name go with my mother's?"

Professor McGonagall scrutinised his face before answered with halting words, as if thinking of what to say.

"I see that Sally hasn't told you anything. Don't worry, you'll get to know in due time."

Percy hated it when people said that. He would know in 'due time'. Why not now?

"So anyway, Jackson, You wanted to know something? Be quick. The ceremony is going to begin, and I think Professor Sprout, our Deputy Headmistress, is almost done briefing the first years. And we also need to go into the Great Hall."

"Yeah, Professor, what do I tell the others about...all this. They are bound to ask soon."

She peered at him through her glasses again before answering.

"Just tell them that you couldn't attend Hogwarts because you were living in New York, and you didn't want to attend a wizarding school there, so you just waited till now to return."

He nodded.

"Now quickly join the first years."

And with that, she was gone.

Percy went to the first years, who were being briefed by a plump lady with a hat made of patches. She finished speaking as soon as he arrived. On seeing him, she gave him a warm and encouraging smile, as if he needed it.

Soon, it was time to go inside the hall. Suddenly, Percy's stomach tingled. What sort of test was this, to see what house you get? Maybe if it was fighting, he may have a chance, but he was inexperienced with his wand.

As they walked into the Great Hall, Percy realised why they called it great. Four giant tables for each house and a head table took up most of the space in the gigantic hall, but the ceiling... It wasn't there. There was only the night sky. The first years whispered in awe of it.

They lined up in front the head table, where an old hat was placed. It was torn at places and dirty enough to be thrown into the dustbin at first sight. Professor Sprout came forward and said that the hat, which was the Sorting Hat, would decide their fate. As she explained how it worked, Percy felt slightly relieved, but not much.

As the sorting began, everyone in the hall watched. Andrews, Felicity was sorted into Hufflepuff, and Aucker, Aiden, in Ravenclaw. Brown, Drew was the first Gryffindor and Gydler, Peter the first Slytherin.

Slowly, the first years in front of him seemed to go one by one. After Jaber, Allie was called, Professor Sprout finally read out, "Jackson, Percy."

Percy stepped forward and sat on the stool. Whispers broke out. Those who hadn't noticed the boy twice the size of normal first years before, we're seeing him now. They would've probably guessed who he was, since according to Ginny, their letters had informed them of the student.