Chapter 19

Love is when you look into someone's eyes and go all the way inside; to their soul and you both know... instantly!  - Angela Chase -

TOURING THE CITY

The next day, David did not go with them…  As soon as Val reached the room on the 12th floor which was David’s suite, he called him and recounted the events that happened after his last call…  David felt the annoyance that things were not happening the way he wanted it…  He did not like the unexpected appearance of Gio in the picture…  Jason’s presence was enough to rattle his confidence but he thought he could handle him easily but a former boyfriend with whom he believed she’s still in love with would require a different strategy…  At that moment he wanted to remind Alexa that she should avoid associating with Jason because the press might pick up on it…  But how could he when he himself was stuck with Trisha…  The fight with Trisha was fierce last night…  She actually wanted to break-up with him but he barely managed to talk her out of it…  What he could not understand was, he did not really care about the relationship, he just felt duty-bound to plead his case but he was not concerned if she stayed or not…  In fact, he was thinking of Alexa while he spent the night with Trisha… 

While on the phone with Val, he told him that he could not go with them the next day because he wanted to spend the day with Trisha…  He lied…  He did not want to see Alexa at the moment…  He could not make out whatever it was he felt for her but he knew he did not like it so he decided not to see her…  He was angry with her and more with himself…

Val decided to observe Alexa’s reaction when he told her that David wasn’t coming but except for the initial irritation in her expression she gave no indication that she would even miss him and he was disappointed…  She was excited about touring the malls of Taipei and visiting the museums…  There were times when he saw her in pensive moods but that was because he missed Gio rather than David…  Val admired her more when he saw how she treated the Filipinos whom they met and instantly recognized her…  The bodyguards were alerted but she told them it’s alright because they were her friends…  These people seemed to know her well and they behaved well too…  They did not even insist for her autograph when they saw her bandaged hand…  After lunch, Val took them on a short trip through the lush countryside southwest of Taipei to a small town that produces hand-painted replicas of elegant Ming (1368-1644) and Ch'ing (1644-1911) vases like those that once graced the palaces in Peking…  Yingke is Taiwan's pottery center, and the narrow streets are lined with shops selling an endless variety of porcelain, from simple earthenware tea sets to delicate statues…  Val informed them that some of the factories allowed tours where visitors like them could watch potters working the clay and artists painting vases…  Alexa bought a lot of jars and figurines to take home as presents for her friends…  A very expensive angel figurine was reserved for Jason though and Crissy teased her for it…

Alexa :  Crissy, this is just to show how I appreciate what he has done for me so far…  I will give this to him so he will not forget me when I go back home…

Val thought her gesture was very considerate…  In the little time that he had spent with her, he had already seen who she was inside and he respected her sincerity, dedication and the straightforwardness…  He felt sorry though that with all these qualities she possessed, her constant search for true happiness seemed endless…  She was vulnerable and proned to find the likes of David and Gio…  His friend though at the moment was showing signs of yielding to a permanent romantic commitment, he feared his ignorance to its requisites might destroy him and Alexa as well…  His jealousy could still be his greatest imperfection…  He never wanted to share his mom with Jason but since Jason was the biological son, he never made it easy for his step-brother…  He could be ruthless and unforgiving where his possessions were concerned…  Jason understood and let it passed…  However, where Alexa was concerned, Val wondered if he would still give in to his brother…