Chapter 61

Sometimes the one thing you are looking for is the one thing you can't see…   - Anonymous -

As she got ready for her dress rehearsal, Alexa got a call…

Alexa :  Hello, this is Alexa speaking…

Val :  Alexa, this is Val…

Alexa :  Hi!!!  Where are you?

Val :  Here in Chicago at the lobby of the Embassy Suite Hotel where you are…  That is the hotel right?

Alexa :  That’s right…  When did you arrive?

Val :  I just checked in…  I’ll be in room…… 2308…  (He hesitated…)  Alexa, can you go out and meet me there?  I’m nervous about this…  How is Crissy?

Alexa :  (She couldn’t hide her excitement at the thought of how happy Crissy would be once she found out Val’s surprise for her…  She felt envious too…)  She’s worried…  Alright, wait for me…  Call me again when you are in your room and when it is safe for me to go in…  I wouldn’t want some nosy parker hiding out in some corner to see me entering your room…  I hope you understand…

Val :  I wouldn’t want that too…  Someone would kill me if you know what I mean…

__________________________

Alexa :  Val, how was your flight?

Val :  The flight was a little turbulent in some areas but anywhere else is fine though…  (Excited that Crissy’s just within reach, he smiled at Alexa and asked…)  How worried was she?

Alexa :  Crissy had been on edge since yesterday…  She was thinking something bad might have happened to you…

Val :  Thank God she did not think I was fooling around…  Alexa, do you think she’d be happy to see me?  (Alexa could feel his nervousness…)  I have already ordered some flowers at the shop downstairs and I was thinking I’d go with you to your dress rehearsal and show myself there…  How about that?

Alexa :  Let’s go together then…  Go freshen up and meet me at the lobby in about thirty minutes…  I will come up with an excuse to be delayed but wait for my call, okay?  I have to leave now or they’d be worried…

Val :  Alexa…  May I take your picture?  David asked me to send him a picture message, would you mind?

Val took her picture and sent it to David…  Val’s phone rang as Alexa was about to leave the room…  Val held onto Alexa’s arm while he looked at his handphone…  It was David as he expected…  He gave the phone to Alexa hoping she’d take it and talk to him…  The phone kept ringing while she hesitated…  Slowly she flipped open the phone and…

David :  Isn’t she beautiful, Val?  Thank you, my friend…  I’m happy to see her even if only through this…  How is she?

Alexa :  (She hesitated then sighed before she answered…)  I am doing just fine, David…  How… how are you?

David :  (He was surprised to hear the voice he missed so much…  Suddenly, he was lost for words and took sometime before he could answer…)  Ally?  Honey, is that you?  I…………  I…………  (His voice began to quaver and Alexa’s tears started to flow uncontrollably…)

Val saw how Alexa held on to the phone and he could not help but feel sorry for both of them…  If only David could see her now, he thought…

Alexa :  (Again she took in a deep breath…)  Are you doing okay?