Chapter 74

Everything in life is temporary, because everything changes…  That's why it takes great courage to love, knowing it might end anytime but having the faith it will last forever…

The fans had the time of their lives watching Alexa and David performing together on stage…  David thought the incident with Gio did not matter to this people…  Earlier at the mall, he saw a newspaper with their picture – ASIAN SUPERSTAR BEATS ALEXA’S EX – and his picture was captioned -  A HERO OR A VILLAIN? – David was disturbed but the fans’ reaction seemed to have preferred to believe a more credible host…  David was extra attentive to Alexa…  Although her voice had improved still his concern did not wane…  He made sure she was comfortable and rested as they traveled from one mall to another…

Alexa invited David to her place after the tour and he was impressed…  Alexa called on Sarah earlier and was only too willing to do the task of helping her prepare the food as she would have the chance to meet the man she only had seen on television…  She met them as soon as they arrived…

Alexa :  David I would like you to meet my cousin and your number 1 fan, Sarah…  This is David…

David :  So you are the one…  Hello…  It is nice to meet you…

Sarah :  It is nice to meet you too…  You are better looking than your brother, Jason…  How is he?

David :  He’s fine I guess…  (So Jason met her too and she knew we are brothers, he thought…)

Sarah :  (His indifference at the mention of Jason’s name disturbed her…)  Shall we all go inside…  I’m sure all of you must be hungry by now…  How do you find the Philippines so far?

David :  Challenging…  (Remembering his fight with Gio the day before…)  Very challenging…

As they were led inside, David surveyed the place…  As soon as he entered the door, the first thing he noticed hanging on the wall was a large portrait of two men, the old man sitting on a chair while a the other, a younger version of the old man stood behind…  Both men possessed stern, formidable looks giving David the impression of typical autocrats…  The nose and lips were familiar and David thought Alexa’s beautiful face may have been a combination of both parents…  He stood there staring at the portrait until Alexa came near him…

Alexa :  Meet the men of my life…  The old man was my grandfather and the other was my father in his healthier days…  Abuelo, Papa, esta es David…

David :  They didn’t look like Filipinos…

Alexa :  Because they are not pure Filipinos…  My grandfather was Spanish…  And very conservative…  He was really the first to discover that I could sing and he would always ask me to sing for him or whenever he was entertaining friends when I was little…

David :  So, your grandfather has a soft spot after all…  In that portrait, he’s kind of intimidating…

Alexa :  He’s actually sweet…  I wish he’d lived longer to see a fulfillment of his dream…

David :  Remember what I told you?  As long as they are in your heart, their memories live on…  I’m sure your grandfather is very proud of you…

David’s attention turned to the frames atop the armoir below the portrait…  One picture showed Alexa with a trophy, another when she was still a child mounted on a horse with his father pulling the reins…  There were about ten frames, all pictures of Alexa as she grew up…

Alexa then led him out into the garden and there, he pictured Alexa looking at the stars while talking to him on the phone…  “So this is where we meet every night…”  Alexa saw him looking at the stars and she knew what he was thinking…