Chapter 36: Tortured Souls

Chloe POV

Where.. am I?

I woke up inside a very luxurious and large room, bewildered of what I am doing here and how I ended up being asleep.

I looked at myself on a large mirror and I were wearing a pink dress and my blonde hair was untied.

I looked around. That's it. This must be the mansion of the Villamores!

I noticed that all of my luggage are fixed on a corner. I decided to take a look around and I couldn't believe that i'll live long enough to be inside of this.

I think I should head out and meet with the Squad 44, so I rummaged on my bag and put on one of the best pair of clothes I have.

After that, I went out of my room to see that I am in a very long hallway with luxurious lamps that lit the place. It looks like it's already evening! Damn I overslept!

I frantically searched around, and to my pleasure, I saw Gellie came out of a room near me and she were yawning.

"Gellie!", I called happily and rushed to her.

"Hmm? Oh, neechan.", she replied and looked around. "Good evening."

"Gellie. Where are the others?", I asked. Gellie then pointed to the other doors on the hallway.

"They are all put on their rooms to rest as well.", said Gellie.

I immediately knocked on a door near me, "Heeey! Are there any Squad 44 there? This is your Commander Chloe speaking!"

Nobody answered.

"Geez.", I said miserably.

"Looks like Jackson was the one inside.", said Gellie as she put her ears on the door.

"Just as I thought. Anywa-"

I was surprised to see Gellie went THROUGH the door like a ghost and I almost fainted at such weirdness!

She opened the door from inside and I went in to see Luke busy playing on his smartphone, as always.

"Luke, why didn't you answer my call? Don't you know tha-"

"Aaah. Shut up, will ya. You're ruining my momentum.", he said while not looking.

"What the hell.", said Gellie irritatingly. "Hey, Jackson. Did you forget that we are still your superiors for you to speak to neechan that way?"

"Look, Angelina.", he glared at her. "I still don't accept you as our team member."

"Grrr!", Gellie rolled up her fists.

"Stop it, Luke!", I yelled and put Gellie on my side. "You're being too rude to Gellie! Remember that our Squad were just staying in here, so act accordingly! I am still the leader and commander of Squad 44, so obey my orders."

He kept on playing on his phone and I couldn't help but be hurt..

Damn it..

"Jackson Luke Mondragon, your disrespectful act will be reported to General Lance Mondragon himself. One more, and you're disbanded. While we are here doing our Joint Mission, utmost and due respect must be given to our superiors, especially the Heavenly Ones. Don't put shame to the Jaegers, Deputy Commander.", I said and walked out of the room darkly. Gellie followed me and we closed his door.

"Neechan.. are you okay?", she asked worriedly.

"I'm fine, Gellie.", I forced myself a fake smile. "Luke has been always like that. Back on the country, we're just tolerating his irritating and grumpy attitude since he's the brother of Jaeger General Lance, the highest of all authority and rank. He could have been in my place as the Commander of Squad 44 if it wasn't for his attitude."

"How are you able to fulfill that position?", Gellie asked.

"My big brother is the Jaegers Deputy Director General in Chief, a rank second only to General Lance. His name is Clyde Deagle."

"Oooh. I see that now. Well, anyway.. let's go and meet up with the others.", she replied.

And so we had successfully gathered the other four members; James, Sabrina, Mariah, and Jona.

"So uuh.. where is Princess Angelica?", asked Sabrina. "Don't you think we should meet up with them?"

"Oooh. I'm so damned hungry.", said James while holding his grumbling stomach.

"Where on Earth is Jackson?", asked Jona.

"He probably didn't want to get out of his room.", said Mariah. "We know him too well."

"That's true. Let's just let him be on his own.", I sadly said. Gellie frowned and went to Luke's room.

"Gellie! Wait up! What are you doing?", I said and tried to chase her but she went through the walls of Luke's room.

------------

Angelina POV

I grudgingly went through the room of Jackson and furiously banished his phone.

"What gives-"

I slapped him and he were surprised. I grabbed his collar, "How dare you make Chloe-neechan sad!"

"What are you talking about? Things had never been different between us.", he said coldly.

"Y-Youu..", I  involuntarily emitted dark aura out of anger. "You.. insensitive bastard!"

"Gellie! Gellie! Its me, your neechan! Let Luke alone! I told you I am fine. Let's all go to meet the Princess without her.. Please...", neechan called outside.

I let go of his clothes and returned his phone.

Just before I went out of the room, I said this.

"Of all the Jaegers NPC members I met, you are the only one I won't consider my oniichan. Those humans who are insensitive of other's feelings.. ARE WORSE THAN THE WORST CREATURES OF THE UNDERWORLD!"

--------------

Chloe POV

"Gellie! Gellie come over here.", I said as I saw her being so bitter after coming out of the room. She hugged me tightly..

"Neechan.. I can sense all the sufferings and sadness of your soul.", she mysteriously said. "I couldn't do anything to persuade him, but it pains me to sense such a tortured soul such as yours."

"Gellie.. don't worry about it, okay?", I smiled. "Come on, let's go and meet up with Angelica without him."

"Gellie sure sense things like that out of a person.", said Jona with utmost amazement. "It's true that Chloe had suffered a lot from her past. Actually almost all of us did. It brought so much changes over us, especially.."

"Mariah.", Gellie looked at her sadly while Mariah just stared at us without any emotion.

Mariah soon looked away and closed her eyes. Of all of us, she's the one who suffered the most to the point that she had lost the ability to express emotions. Since that fateful day when she lost everything, she had became an emotionless girl who only trusts Squad 44.

For Mariah, the only precious jewels she has left are us.

"All of you had gone through so much.. your souls are all crying deep inside. It hurts me to see them.", sobbed Gellie while burying her face on my chest.

After we had recovered for a bit..

Gellie had recovered her cheerful attitude again and soon we happily walked around the mansion while I carry her on my shoulders.

With Gellie being here with me, I feel that our tortured souls would soon be healed by her cuteness and adorable personality of making others around her feel good.

And also, she was the only person that Mariah can show her emotions with.

Angelina, thank you so much.