Chapter 1

Heaven POV

I rode the elevator up to the 5th floor where my office is located. Today I went with a black knee length pencil skirt, royal blue blouse, with a white blazer and some black pumps.

I feel pretty good about who I've become. I entered college at an early age and started an internship here at Walker&White co. When I got my license, I was hired almost immediately. That made me happy and I knew my parents were looking down smiling at me along with my grandparents.

My parents died when I was 12. My dad was kingpin and had a lot of territory. My mom was a Criminal Lawyer like me. Fakes being in my dad's crew, shot and killed my parents in their sleep. I blamed everything on me though. Because I was the one who let who I used to call 'Uncle' in the house.

My grandparents moved me in with them. When I first moved in, I barely ate. Grams even made my favorite everything, breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts. But I just wouldn't eat.

Years passed, and I swear I never loved my grandparents as much as before when my parents were alive.

On my 16th birthday, I got home and seen the whole thing up in flames with the fire department trying to put it out. I cried and cried wondering why. I lost both my parents and grandparents on my birthday just years apart from each death.

I didn't know my grandparents on my dad's side. And I didn't really trust any of my uncle or aunts because of what happened with my parents. So I ended up staying with my best friend and her parents. Well they saw me as another daughter even before my parents died.

"Happy Birthday Carter." I smiled weakly at Emily. "Thanks Em." I replied. Going to my office, I felt like a broken record with all the thank you's. Today is my 23rd birthday. And after work, I'm going.... Home to sleep.

*

"Come on Heav. You haven't gone out for your birthday in 7 years." My bestfriend Laila says through my blue iPhone 5c. I swear she is the only person I trust. We met through our dads when we were literally in pull ups. "I know I haven't Lai. I'm tired from work today." I lied. "Tired my ass. What you did all day? Nothing but sit on that ass. Now get up outta that bed and start getting ready. I'm on my way." I laughed at her. "I'm serious, we going out clubbing tonight. Get up and shower. I know yo lazy butt ain't do so when you got home." I looked down to see me still in my work clothes. "Shut up." I laughed. "Heav." She sighed. "Fine. I'm getting ready." I gave in. "Thanks doll. Love you, be there in 10." I shook my head hearing her car starting up as she hung up.

"Why aren't you ready?" Laila walked in my bedroom. "Who said you could come in?" I asked. "Girl bye. Why you wrapped up in a towel and not getting ready?" She asked. Lai looked fine. She wore a black fitted mini dress with the sides out. And some multicolored red bottoms. "I don't know where we're going. Therefore, I waited for you." I answered nonchalantly. "Ugh. Now it's time for me to go in this big ass closet of yours." I giggled at her exaggeration.

"Bam." She laid the outfit out. It was a strapless heart shaped dress that was pure white and stopped mid thigh, that I knew was going to hug and tug every curve right. Next to the dress where my gold red bottoms with a red clutch. "With some red lipstick. Girl, you'se bout to lose your virginity tonight." I looked at Lai funny and she bursted out laughing. "Somebody need to pop yo stuck up ass." I gasp. " I am not stuck up." I hit her playfully. "No. But them people you be with and the way you dress make you look like you are." We laughed. "They're my co workers." I said taking my towel off and slipping my dress on. "Just let a nigga know you're wearing no bra and a thong. I bet he'll slip that thong off with no hands." Says my best friend. "Laila shut up." She laughed. "Oh. You love me."