chapter 84: the car accident pt. 2

"oh my god," josh whispered, tears streaming down his face. "tyler, please don't be joking. please."

"i-i'm sorry. i-i don't know who you are."

"i'm your husband, tyler," josh cried.

"i-i don't think i'm married, sir."

"sir? baby you've never called me that..."

"i've never called you anything, joshua, was it?"

"we met when we were three. we kissed when we were twelve. your parents forced you to move away, but five years later you came back. and we saw each other at school. and you took me back to your apartment where we kissed again, but we didn't have to worry about it. and then i moved in. a-and you were a star basketball player b-but you quit because you hated how distant we seemed. a-and you gave me a promise ring i still wear to this day, see?" josh said, putting his hand on display for tyler to see.

"a-and then i proposed to you in our backyard, a-and we promised not to have sex until we were married so it meant more. a-and then we actually got married! and it was the best day of my life, tyler. the best day. a-and we honeymooned in hawaii where we had our first time and it was magical. a-and then we went home a-and just enjoyed being married for a few years. a-and then we had our first child, ruby dorothea. t-then a few years after her, w-we got our twins, augustus dane and eloise iris. a-and now, ruby's dating our best friend's daughter! and we always talk about how cute they are together. please, ty. y-you have to remember. please..."

"a-are y-you the one that gave me this ring?" tyler asked weakly, holding out the silver band josh had given him on their wedding day.

"y-yes, tyler. i-i gave you that ring. november 17."

"o-ok," he said. "i-i would like to go home with joshua."

"you'll have to wait a few days, mr. dun."

"dun?"

"y-yes, baby. t-that's your last name. a-and mine too..."

"o-oh," tyler said. "i-i like the way it sounds."

josh smiled sadly and nodded, squeezing josh's hand. "i do too, baby."

three days later

"ready to go home, baby?" josh asked, helping his husband out of his hospital bed.

they spent the three days together, joshua answering all of tyler's questions from 'what are the scars on my wrists?' to 'what's augustus's favorite thing to do?'

"y-yes," tyler said, getting into his wheel chair and allowing his husband to push him out to the car.

once they arrived to the vehicle, josh opened the door to the passenger's side and tyler grinned.

"roses?"

"for you, my love," josh smiled.

"t-that's so sweet, joshua," tyler blushed, holding the roses in his hands as he was driven home.

"you can call me things other than joshua, honey."

"really? l-like what?"

"w-well, y-you call me lots of things. josh, joshy, baby, husband, hubby, your love, p-prince charming, babe, baby, lots and lots of things," josh smiled shyly.

"c-can i call you 'handsome?' b-because you're very handsome."

josh blushed and smiled, nodding his head. "of course, beautiful."

they arrived home and josh helped tyler inside. "i remember you! all of you!" tyler exclaimed as he saw the kids.

"daddy!!!" eloise squealed, running up and hugging his legs.

"hi, eloise! hi gus! hi ruby!"

"hey, dad. i'm so glad you're feeling better," ruby smiled, hugging tyler.

"daaaaaaad!" gus said, hugging him tightly.

"hey, gus gus!"

josh found it odd that tyler remembered the kids but not him, though he tried his best to brush it off.

two weeks later

"coffee shop," tyler said quietly.

"what, baby?" josh said.

"coffee shop, josh! our first date was at a coffee shop! and we danced and kissed. and it was magical," tyler exclaimed, jumping up and down excitedly.

"yes, baby! oh my god, ty! yes! that was our first date, honey! oh my god. you're remembering!" josh said, hugging his husband tightly.

"w-we love dancing and kissing and snuggling! and we always like cuddling after sex more than the actual sex! oh, joshua! it's all coming back!" tyler said, pressing a long kiss on his husband's lips. "a-and we love eating chocolate cake together in bed in our boxers. a-and i made you watch 'titanic' with me because you'd only ever seen the nude scene! and we hold hands under the table at dinner!"

"yes, tyler! yes! oh my god, ty!" josh said excitedly, lying down in the bed with his husband on top of him, tyler kissing all over his face.

"i love you, joshua."

"i love you so much, tyler."

"i'm glad i'm back."

"me too, beautiful. me too."