chapter 39: ruby's first fren

josh was driving his family home from the ice cream parlor, and suddenly, there were red and blue flashing lights behind him.

he sighed and pulled over, chewing his lip nervously.

the police officer got out of his car and walked up to josh's window, tapping on it.

"license and registration, please."

"y-yes sir..." josh stuttered, getting everything out and handing it to him.

then, ruby knocked lightly on her window.

"hi! i'm ruby dun! what's your name??"

josh's eyes widened, and he quickly shook his head "sweetheart, not n-"

"roll down her window," tyler said.

"what?"

"roll down her window," he said again through gritted teeth.

josh obeyed and ruby had a full-on conversation with the police officer.

"i like the colors of your lights! they're really pretty!"

"oh, thank you! they're blue like your dress."

ruby grinned proudly and nodded. "i like that thingy, too! you look nice with it on," she said, pointing to his badge.

"i'll be right back," the officer said, returning to his car.

he came back with a sticker shaped like a badge, handing it to ruby.

"wow! this is so cool!" she said excitedly as she stuck the sticker on the back of her hand.

she continued talking to the officer for five more minutes before he went back to josh's window.

"i'll let you off with a warning, but only if you spend the money that would've gone to the ticket on doing something nice for her," he explained.

josh quickly nodded. "oh, yes sir! of course! thank you so much!"

he smiled and told them to have a nice night, walking back to his car with a large grin after hearing ruby yell something excitedly.

"i think i made a fren, daddies!"

a/n

just a cute lil one shot thing! 160 reads?! that's insane! thank you so much! it means the world to me.

xoxo, c