chapter 78: a darkness

four years later.

ruby was 16.

the twins were 12.

"ruby! oh my gosh, i have incredible news!" evangeline exclaimed as she saw her best friend in the hall.

"well?? what is it??"

"you know blaine??" she asked.

ruby nodded.

"he asked me out!!!"

"o-oh... c-cool, eve! t-that's great," ruby said with a hint of sadness in her voice.

//

it was a month later, and ruby went to the first boy-girl party she'd ever been to.

she went with evie, but got very shy and anxious since there were so many people.

she sat alone in a chair on her phone, reading through online articles.

she looked up for a second to find blaine and evie hardcore making out.

and she lost it.

"d-dad??"

"yeah, honey?"

"c-can you please c-come pick me up?"

"of course, ru. what's wrong?"

"just... something. sorry if i woke you up."

"don't worry about it, princess. i'll be there in a few minutes," josh said, kissing his sleeping husband's cheek before driving to the party and picking ruby up.

the next morning

evie: ru! where did you go last night?? i couldn't find you anywhere!

ruby🌙: i had my dad pick me up. i didn't feel well.

evie: aww, ru! you could've just told me! i would have gladly taken you home.

ruby🌙: it's ok. i don't really like crowds, anyways.  i didn't want to interrupt you and blaine, either.

evie: ru, you know you come before him. always. i told you that the day he asked me out!

ruby🌙: idk. it doesn't seem like it sometimes. it's ok, though. he's your boyfriend. i've gotta go. i'll ttyl.

evie: wait, what do you mean??

ruby🌙: it doesn't matter, evie.

evie: yes it does, ruby. please tell me what's wrong.

ruby🌙: i really need to go, ok? i'll talk to you later.

evie: ru is this about you starting to wear sleeves even when it's hot out? and how you excuse yourself to the bathroom after lunch every day?

read: 11:47 am

evie: ru, please answer me.

read: 11:52 am

evie: ru please

evie: i'm sorry, ruby.

evie: i'm so sorry.

evie: i should have said something, ruby. i just got so caught up with blaine. i'm so sorry.

evie: you don't deserve pain, ru. you're the sweetest girl ever. literally. ever. and you aren't fat, either. you're gorgeous, ruby. i wish i looked like you. i've told you that from the very beginning.

evie: i'm so sorry, ru.

evie: please talk to me.

evie: only if you feel comfortable, of course. i don't want to force you into anything. i know how much you hate that.

evie: and how much you love pink.

evie: and how you only part your hair to the right because it 'gives you luck.'

evie: and that you've never gone a single night without telling me you loved me. even if i don't respond.

evie: oh my god, ru...

evie: ruby i'm so sorry. i don't know how i could be so dumb.

evie: this all started after blaine and i got together, didn't it?

evie: ruby, please don't be hurting yourself. i love you, ok? i love you more than anything. i only started dating blaine so you wouldn't get suspicious that i was bi...

evie: i love you, ruby. i'm so sorry i made you feel like this. you deserve so much better, ok? ask anyone and they'll tell you that.

evie: i love you.

evie: more than a friend, if that wasn't clear.

evie: talk to you later, ru. i love you, i love you, i love you.