chapter 63: family issues

it had been six months since tyler and josh were married again, and since things in the house were so chaotic, they hadn't had alone time for six months.

tyler had always been the type that needed alone time with his husband. he needed the nights with just josh every friday.

and he hadn't gotten them.

in six months.

not even at night, for ellie and gus had been developing nightmares and now slept with their fathers.

they had put all the kids down for their naps, and finally had some time alone. josh started to kiss his husband, and tyler gladly kissed back.

then,

knock knock.

it was all three of the kids.

and tyler lost it.

"i'm going for a drive. i'll be back in an hour," tyler said, getting up and going downstairs.

"baby, please don't. i'll put them to be-" josh was cut off by the door slamming shut.

"w-why's tyty so grumpy?" ellie asked, hugging gus.

"daddy and daddy haven't gotten any time to do husband stuff in a long time, and that can make us sad. especially tyty," josh explained. "he's ok, though."

ruby looked down sadly. "sorry, daddy."

"sorry, daddy," ellie said.

"sorry, daddy," gus said, still hugging his sister back.

"oh, no, guys. it's ok. don't get sad. just it gets really hard for tyty. i-i was kind of the only person he had until you all came along... a-and that's why we're so close..."

"we should do something for him," ruby suggested.

"we should hug him!" ellie suggested excitedly.

"we should have a dance party for him!" gus yelled happily.

josh sighed, not knowing what to do.

"you should take him on a date," ruby said. "but do it at home since he likes it so much here. get all the things he likes. you should get flowers and chocolate and apple juice and popcorn!"

josh smiled sadly and nodded. "i'll think about it, ruby. thank you."

"can we sleep in here?" gus yawned.

josh sighed and nodded. "yes, just... make yourselves comfortable."

so they all got under the covers, gus falling asleep on top of ruby, sucking on his pudgy thumb while ellie hugged ruby as they all slept, josh turning the lights off and closing the door.

tyler returned a while later, his eyes red and puffy from crying.

"oh, baby..." josh said, opening his arms for his husband.

tyler sniffled and walked into josh's arms, crying into his chest. "i j-just what s-some alone t-time with my h-husband," tyler cried.

josh hugged his husband tightly, stroking his hair. "shhh, baby. i know, i know. i do too. this week we will, alright? let's have a night all to ourselves. just like we used to. and we can kiss and cuddle and hug and make love and talk... all those things."

tyler sniffled and nodded, hugging his husband tightly for several minutes.

josh realized where ellie had adopted her love for hugs from.