chapter 77: a 'medical emergency'

it was six years later.

ruby and evie were 12.

the twins were eight.

and their personalities hadn't changed a bit.

"DAD! DAD! OH MY GOODNESS, DAD! DAD! COME HERE!" ruby screamed from the bathroom.

"WHAT?! WHAT'S WRONG?!" tyler yelled as he ran into the bathroom.

"LOOK!" she said, pointing to the toilet.

blood.

"OH MY GOD! JOSHUA! JOSHUA! JOSHUA!" he yelled, running through the house and tackling his husband.

"WHAT??"

"R-RUBY! S-SHE'S BLEEDING! WE NEED TO TAKE HER TO THE HOSPITAL!" tyler screamed.

"OH MY GOD! WHAT HAPPENED?!" josh said, frantically pulling on clothes.

"GO LOOK! IN THE BATHROOM!"

josh rushed to the bathroom, his eyes widened as he saw the blood.

"ty..." josh sighed. "that's normal..."

"WHAT THE FUCK, JOSHUA?! NO IT'S NOT!"

"yes it is, ty. it just means she's getting older. you can stay home from school today, sweetheart."

"w-what's wrong w-with me?" ruby cried.

josh sighed and picked her up, carrying her to her room and sitting down with her in his lap.

"nothing's wrong with you, honey. this happens to absolutely every girl. every month from now on, this will happen. for about 5-7 days, blood will um... it'll... come out of your... uh... swimsuit area," josh explained awkwardly. "it's your body saying that you're ready to have one of your little eggs in your tummy fertilized, but it hasn't been, so instead of growing a a baby in your stomach, you release the egg and it comes out as dead tissue, which is the blood. it smells kinda gross and your stomach might hurt a lot, i dunno, i've never had one, but it's just something that shows you're getting older."

"b-but i don't want everyone knowing i'm bleeding out of my butt!" ruby cried.

"no one will know, honey. unless you tell them. you wear these things called pads that you stick in your underwear and they absorb all the blood," josh said, hugging her in his arms.

"o-ok," she said quietly.

"you also might get pretty grumpy right before it happens. it's all normal. just next time you go to the doctor, we'll need to tell them that you got your period."

"o-ok..."

"i-i'll um... i'll go get you some... products..." he said awkwardly, kissing her cheek before getting up and heading to the store.

"aw, you're such a sweet boyfriend. getting your girl pads and ice cream and advil," the cashier said.

"actually, they're for our daughter, her siblings love ice cream and they've been wonderful this week, and my husband has a migraine," josh replied back.

"so you're bi? and i still have a chance?" the girl smirked.

"no, not at all, actually. first off, i'm gay. second, my husband is the absolute light of my life, the only one i could ever dream of coming home to. i've hurt him enough as is, so don't try me, bitch."

the girl rolled her eyes and handed him the bag. "here. tell your husband i say hi," she said rudely.

"mmm, rather not. but i'll think of you next time we're making out! should be in a couple hours. you have a nice day, hun," he grinned sassily before walking out with the bag.

when he got home, he opened the bag, delivering everyone their things.

he then noticed a slip of paper at the bottom of the bag.

'call me:) xxx-xxx-xxxx'

josh dialed the number, sitting atop of the kitchen counter.

"hello?"

"hey, it's me. from the store. i'm gay, bitch. stop trying."

"make out session didn't work out so well?"

"shut the fuck up and get back to your 'job,' sweetheart."

"why'd you say job like that?"

"because in my book, working at CVS isn't a real job," he grinned. "especially when you're in your late twenties."

"i can name at least two great jobs even better than this," she smirked. "if you'd like, i could show you some time."

josh rolled his eyes. "you disgust me. get back to work so i can call the manager without worrying about you interrupting."

"fuck you."

"actually, i only fuck my husband," josh smiled.

aaaaaaand she hung up.

ruby sat on the couch and ate ice cream all day while the twins were at school, whimpering slightly at her cramps every so often.

meanwhile, tyler was lying down in his and josh's room, his head killing him.

"joshy??" he groaned.

"yes, baby?" josh responded, rolling over in the bed and hugging his husband.

"will you kiss me so i feel better?"

josh giggled and nodded. "gladly, my love."

(texts between ruby and evie)

evie: hey, ru! where were you today?? i missed you:((

ruby🌙: i started my period and my dad said i could stay home today. i'll be back tomorrow.

evie: aww, poor you:(( i'm sorry! periods are the worst. maybe we could hang out after school tomorrow? at my house? does that sound ok?

ruby🌙: sounds awesome. let me ask my dads.

5 minutes later

ruby🌙: they said i can come! thanks, eve. you always know how to make me smile:))

evie: awww, ru. stop makin me blush. i've gotta go, but i'll see you tomorrow, ok? ily💕

ruby🌙: ilyt, evie. see you tomorrow💛