Chapter 19: Will You Be My Valentine?

Start from the beginning

"What were you going to say?" Tanner hurried me. I turn to look at him and bite my lower lip.

"Tanner, I can't," I tell him sadly. "I don't want to be anyone's valentine this year," I admitted. "Thank you for asking, though." I got off the bleacher and hurried to class. I walked in with all eyes on me. I take my seat and Josh tapped my shoulder.

"So, what did you say?" He questioned me and I look over at him to find him with his phone out. It turns out that someone from the crowd of juniors that were there was recording.

I sigh out. "I said no," I tell him in complete honesty.

"How come?" He bugged me.

"Because I didn't want to be his valentines! I don't want to be anyone's valentines!" I bellowed out for accident making everyone, even my teacher stop talking. I mouthed the word sorry to my teacher before I covered my face. Ugh, this is what happens when things don't go as hoped. I hoped Tanner would have asked one of those girls he was talking to, but no...it had to be me.

*

Samantha:

I entered my first class of the day, as usual, to find Sam and Noah talking to one another. When I arrived at the table, Noah quickly got up and pulled back my seat.

"Oh," I smiled happily. "Thank you, Noah," I laughed. I take my seat and I looked over at Sam to find him looking away.

"So, what should we do today?" Noah asked out.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "Well," I say happily after getting an idea. "I know we are supposed to be getting to know one another, but let's have a chill day."

"Alright, what do you have in mind?" Sam joined in.

"Let's do Valentine's Day cards for fun," I say out shyly. "To be honest, I haven't made one since middle school."

"Sounds fun to me," Noah added making me smile.

"I guess," Sam shrugged making my smile fall.

We began to take out paper, scissors, color pencils, and markers. We got quiet once we began to start our masterpieces.

"Who are you making yours for?" Noah asked me and I look up from cutting my paper heart.

I shrugged. "Probably just give it to my mom," I laughed. "I don't have a valentine," I admitted.

"I don't think that's true," Noah tells me as he begins to draw a rose on his paper heart.

"What about you?" I asked Noah. "Who are you making that for?" I asked as I began to make a design around the heart.

"For a girl I'm interested in," I hear him say.

"Oh," I say happily. "And do we know her?" I questioned him as he began to write something in cursive around the heart. He looked up at me and stared at me for a second before looking over at Sam.

"More than you think," he laughed and I smiled. He cleared his throat and asked Sam who he was making the card for.

"A special someone," he answered as he stared at me. I felt my face redden and I look down at my heart and began coloring everything in. What is wrong with me!

"So," Noah began making me look at him. "When I was coming to class I saw rose petals―"

"She has a secret admirer, alright," Sam roughly cut him off.

"Okay," Noah answered annoyed as he looked over Sam. He turns his direction to me and smiled. "Do you know who it is?" He questioned me as he reached down for his backpack.

"Not yet," I smiled out. "I hope whoever it is will―" I stopped myself from talking just as Noah took out a rose from his bag and handed it over to me. My heart begins to race and I wasn't able to speak. I open my mouth, but nothing. I'm speechless

"Here," he says as he handed me the heart he cut out. I take his heart with my free hand and read it out.

"Roses are red. Violets are blue. Nothing is more beautiful than this rose, all except for you. Xoxo- your secret admirer."

"I guess it's not a secret anymore," he says as he runs his hand through his hair. "What do you think? Do you want to be my valentine?" I felt a smile form and I began to nod my head. "Really?" I nod my head again. "That's great!" He said out happily.

He got out of his seat and I did the same. We gave one another a hug and some students began to clap for us. When we took our seats back again, I placed the rose down.

"Who's the girl you're giving that to?" Noah asked out. My heart falls when I remembered about Sam. I didn't move.

"No one," he whispered out and I felt my body go weak. "Not anymore," he let out and I look up at him.

"Woah, dude, do you-where you going to give that to Samantha?" Noah asked and I stared over at Sam to find out his answer.

"So what if it was, you clearly got her, so congratulations!" Sam blew out as the bell rung. He packed his things up and I quickly threw everything in my bag, except for my heart, so I could talk to him.

"Wait," Noah says out to me.

"Thank you so much! Meet me at my locker when school ends, I have to do something!" I yell out before I left the room. I hurry to find Sam and when I found him he was walking to Tanner.

"Sam," I say out as I caught up to him and Tanner. They both stopped and looked over at me.

"What," he questioned me as he rolled his eyes. My heart was racing in my chest. I didn't plan on what I was going to say.

"I didn't-I don't know what to say," I admitted. He sighs and went around me as Tanner stayed put. I turn around to find him walking.

"Please stop!" I yell out and he does. He turned around and I came over to him. "Here," I say handing my paper heart to him. "I know I said that I was making it for my mom, but in honesty, I was making it for you," I let out.

He looks it over before looking up at me. "This means nothing to me," he says as he crumbled it right in front of me. My heart falls and I felt my eyes begin to water. "You chose him knowing I was there! The moment you said yes to him was the moment I gave up!" I look away from him. "Congratulation on getting yourself a valentine," he tells me before walking away from me. I felt the tear fall when I saw him throw the paper into the trash bin.

"Hey," I hear Tanner say behind me. I quickly wiped my tear away and looked over at him. "I'll talk to him, I promise," he tells me and I thanked him before I walked off to my next class.