Aldertree

Jocelyn pulled away from her daughters but made sure that her attention was on Echo. She gave her daughter a once-over before looking into her startling red eyes. The mother was not used to the sight, "Echo, I am so sorry. I am so sorry that I did not tell you about any of this."

Echo wanted to be happy to see her mother again, but Echo's sudden love vanished as she realized what her mother kept from her. Echo took a step back from Jocelyn as her face suddenly contorted with a shocking amount of hurt and anger, "You're sorry? You're sorry that you never mentioned to me that I had demon blood inside of me?" Echo spat the word 'demon' to let her mother know how angry she was. 

"You lead me to believe that I was a saint. A blessed little Shadowhunter with not a thing wrong with her."

Echo took her step forward to get into her mother's face, "You think you were protecting me, but you weren't. You weren't there when I changed. I had no idea what the hell was wrong with me! Do you know how it felt? Do you know how it felt to change? To gain these—these abilities?" Echo didn't wait for her mother to answer before she continued, "I don't want to look at you. I despise you."

Echo let her words drip venom as she said her last retort. She could clearly feel the fear and the guilt surround Jocelyn, but Echo didn't care. Echo saw the tears well up in Jocelyn's eyes, but before they could escape her lashes, Lydia came into the center.

"I think we need to break this up. We still need to find Jace." Lydia's words were slow and timid, afraid she might spark a new wave of anger in Echo.

Echo kept her eyes on her mother, even after she had turned her back. The guilt that was eating at her mother, had no effect on Echo, but the moment that Jocelyn was out of her sight, Echo's mood turn completely around. She stood in the center of the institute void of all emotions. Her face fell slack and her body stood taut.

***

"Echo." Alec noticed that Echo was still standing in her spot, well after her mother had gone, "Echo."

At Alec's harsh tone, the Shadowdemon was broken from her trance. She shook her head slightly and looked up at her husband, "What?" Echo's sour mood was back once again and her word mirrored her emotions.

Alec, in his own sour mood, wasn't phased by her tone, "Do you have any idea where Jace could be?"

Echo crinkled her nose, "Why would I know that?"

Alec shrugged his shoulders and let his voice elevate, "I-I don't know. Don't you two have a twin connection thing?"

Echo narrowed her sharp eyes, "I'm a demon, I'm not frickin' psychic."

When the word left her lips, both Alec and Echo sucked in a breath. Alec was more shocked than Echo was; this had been the first time she had admitted what she was out loud. There was a tense silence between the two of them. They both glared at each other for a moment before they both simultaneously turned and walked in different directions.

Echo let out a huff as she moved away from Alec but she could still feel his pain and frustration. Echo walked from Operations and in the direction of her room. As she walked, Echo's mood continued to spastically flair. One moment she was calm and the next she was in complete distress at her anger with the situation, more so, her mother. As Echo thought of her mother, she could feel a pull towards the woman in a way she hadn't felt before.

Echo pulled in a breath and as she released it she felt herself being sucked through space and time until she felt her feet land on solid ground beneath her. Echo stumbled to catch her balance before she looked up. She had transported herself in the Green Garden of which her mother, Clary and Luke occupied. Echo's entrance was almost silent and she was able to catch what her mother was saying.