Chapter 1

Raine

One Week Later

Mommas funeral seemed to be going on forever. Misery makes everything seem longer. We've been staying with our friend's, Taylor Seton's, house. They've been great. Knight and I have been inseparable, always by each other's sides. I helped him dress in the only suit he owned, the one from daddy's funeral. I dressed in the black dress I also wore that day.

I stared at the coffin as they lowered her down into the coffin sized hole in the ground. I missed her so much already. I wondered where me and Knight will be going from here. Foster Care, probably. I grabbed Knight's hand and lead him away. We made our way slowly to Ms. Setons car, getting ourselves in, then driving away to start packing for what might be next.

----------

We arrived at Taylor's house shortly after leaving the cemetery. The social worker told us to pack light. Bring important valuables and clothing. I packed several dresses, jeans, skirts, shorts, shoes (for all occasions), some tees and mostly sweaters. I found my favorite family and individual photos of each member of my family and packed those away too.

I had to go through Knights stuff, he kept overflowing his two bags and suitcase. We ended up having one bag for his electronics, the other for pictures and items of our parents and family and the suitcase for clothes. I pushed down on the suitcase and closed it shut, right as the doorbell rang. The social worker was here.

"What will we do now?" I looked over my shoulder to find a shaking, sixteen year old, boy. He seemed so vulnerable and little. I gave him the biggest hug I could manage.

"I don't know." Was all that came out. We grabbed our bags and I grabbed Hedgie the hedgehog's cage and yes, we have a pet hedgehog.