It's never too late to say you're sorry

I kept my distance from Kai. I didn't need the hassle. Every time he tried to talk to me, I walked away from him. Having a relationship with someone should not be this difficult. It shouldn't be comfortable all the time, but it shouldn't be difficult either. I need some middle ground, at least.

While I was trying to focus on school and whatnot, Kai had plans of his own and roped my so-called friends into helping him. I opened my locker to find a dozen roses inside with a note.

Faith

Forgive me.

Yeah, it will take more than flowers for me to forgive Kai.

The next day, there was a teddy bear with another note.

Please forgive me.

On the third day, I found chocolates.

I'm genuinely sorry.

That went on and on for two weeks. At home, it was worse. Between the delivery people and my room covered with the items Kai gave or sent me, I didn't know what to do.

I sat on my bed, looking at all the stuff and notes. I wanted to forgive Kai, I did, but I was afraid the minute I did, it would all blow up in my face. It wasn't a movie or fairytale. We don't always get a happy ending.

"Baby girl, Kai is here. He wanted to speak to you, but if you don't want to, I can tell him to leave," Dad said to me.

"I don't know what to do, Dad," I sighed.

Dad stepped over the stuff and took a seat next to me on the bed. "What does your heart tell you to do?"

"Dad, this is no time for the whole listening to your heart bit," I said, giving Dad a look.

"Okay, look, there's no black and white answer here. There's a lot of a gray area. Relationships are hard. People break up and get back together, then some never get back together," Dad told me.

"That's reassuring," I said.

"Faith, no relationship is perfect or easy. People screw up, they make mistakes, but they are human. Do you want this ideal that you created of Kai, or do you want Kai? Because hun, he is not perfect," Dad reasoned.

Amid everything, I overlooked an important detail. Dad was right; people aren't perfect. They make mistakes, screw up, and are all human.

"I'll talk to Kai," I said.

"Okay. I'll send Kai up," Dad said, patting my leg.

After Dad went downstairs, he sent Kai up to my room. Kai walked in and stood near the door.

"I'm sorry. I am. I should have trusted you," Kai said.

"Yeah," I said to Kai, "but someone reminded me that we all aren't perfect, and everyone makes mistakes."

I stood up from my bed and looked at Kai. He looked rough. He had dark circles under his eyes, his hair was a mess, and it looked like he lost some weight.

"You look like hell," I said to Kai.

"Um, thanks," Kai replied.

"No, what's going on with you?" I asked with concern.

"Things have been a little rough for me," Kai told me.

I walked towards Kai with a concerned look. "What things?"

"Ever since Jacob opened his mouth, the kids haven't exactly been pleasant to me and the fact my mom wants to see me, doesn't help," Kai told me.

I reached and placed my hand on Kai's cheek. He lifted his hand and touched it. Before I knew it, Kai pulled me to him, hugging him. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him back.

"Faith, I know I screwed up, but I hate not having you in my life. You're the only person who calms me and makes me feel somewhat normal," Kai reasoned.

I looked up at Kai, "But I don't want to be that person." Kai's expression changed, and then I continued, "I want to be more. I want to be a part of your life, no matter what. Relationships aren't perfect. They have their difficulties, but if it means two people to be together, they will always find some way."

I saw his lips curl up in a smile, "Faith, you are the one person who I love more than anything in this life. I don't love you; I'm in love with you. The moment I first saw you, I knew then that no matter what, I would fall for you."

I couldn't help but grin like an idiot. Hearing Kai said, that made my heart beat faster, and butterflies float around in my stomach. I knew at that moment; Kai was the only one I wanted.

After that night, we both agreed that we needed to trust each other and communicate better. That seems to be our biggest issue. I found out my friends helped Kai out with everything, including my parents. As for Jacob, he had more significant issues to deal with in his life.

While I was dealing with my drama, Jacob had his demons he was fighting, including taking an overdose of pills. His mom found him. After they took Jacob to the hospital to get his stomach pumped, they committed him.

My heart ached for Jacob. Jacob wasn't a bad guy; he veered off in the wrong direction in life. While everyone ignored the fact he wasn't around, I was a friend and visited him.

I walked into a room, and Jacob was sitting at a table. The minute he saw me, his face lit up. I walked over and took a seat.

"How are you?" I asked.

"I'm okay. Most of the time, I hang in my room," Jacob said casually. With his tone, I knew he was acting cautiously.

"Has anyone visited you?" I asked.

"Only my mom and you," Jacob answered.

"What about your dad?" I questioned.

"Mom says Dad has to work extra hours to pay for my medical bills. I know that's a lie. He doesn't want to see how much of a fuckup his son is," Jacob said somberly.

"Jacob," I said.

"Faith, don't. I made a mess of things. I went from having friends to having nothing, all because I was selfish," Jacob said.

"That's not true. You still have me," I said, giving Jacob a soft smile.

"Yeah, along with a boyfriend that hates my guts," Jacob scoffed.

"Can you blame Kai? You took something personally and announced it to the world. Kai hasn't had it easy since you did that," I said, defending Kai.

Jacob sighed. "The worst part is, I didn't mean to say anything. I let my anger get the best of me, but they wouldn't let up either. So it fucked me all around."

"Jacob, everyone is angry. You hurt all of them. Give it time," I advised.

"What about you?" Jacob asked.

"I was angry, but it doesn't matter. We're all fucked up in our little ways," I said to Jacob, giving him a soft smile.

"Yeah, I guess we are," Jacob said, returning the smile. After that, we talked for a while, catching up on things. It was nice to have the old Jacob back. The one who liked to have fun. I missed him.

After I left, I knew I needed to see Jacob regularly. No matter what happens in life or how much we screw up, we always have to remember we aren't perfect; no one is.