Tricks or treats: a Halloween chapter

It had been a week since Belle told me what happened with Jacob and Jonas. I was still trying to figure out how to approach Jacob with it all. It put a wedge between all of us and put me smack in the middle of the situation.

"Attention party people! Halloween party at my house tonight! That is all," announced Max.

Ah, the party twins were at it again.

"Max, is it necessary to announce a party to everyone?" I asked.

"Faith, it is always necessary to announce a party," Max said in a happy tone. "Plus, this is the one night girls get to dress in hot costumes." Max grinned.

"Still no luck in the girl department?" I asked.

"Who says I need a girl in my life?" Max asked me.

I raised my eyebrow.

"Okay, fine, no luck. Do you know how hard it is to meet a decent girl nowadays without dealing with the sexual tension that's going around here? Bang some chick to get notice or whore yourself out to people. I prefer none of the above," Max said emphatically.

"Don't worry, Max. I'm sure a girl is waiting for you," I said reassuringly.

"God, I hope so," Max sighed.

"You hope so, what?" Kai asked, walking up.

"Max is reflecting on his lack of love life," I said.

"It can't be that bad, can it?" Kai asked, looking at Max.

"I couldn't tell you when the last time I went on a date. The girls around here are so bad that it's hard to tell which side is what," Max told Kai.

"Gee, thanks," I said with a look.

"Oh, Faith, you don't count," Max said.

"Even better," I replied.

"That's not what I mean. You're one of the few girls that are great but only in the sisterly sense," Max reasoned.

"Max relax, I know what you already meant," I said, grinning.

"Who knows, maybe one day I will meet that lucky lady, but now, I must plan a party. Don't forget your costumes tonight," Max said, walking away.

"It looks like I will have to help you find a costume," Kai said.

"Pretty much. But nothing slutty," I said.

"And have your granddad and Dad on my back? No, thank you," Kai said. I reached and found Kai's lips as I leaned in and kissed him.

At some point, I still needed to talk to Jacob about what Belle told me, but tonight I wanted to have fun. I had a feeling tonight would be interesting.

While Kai and I were getting ready, my friends were having issues of their own in the form of avoiding each other. Except for Margo, who Jacob pounced on next.

Margo knocked on Jacob's door. "Jacob?"

"Come in," Jacob told Margo.

"Hey, you ready?" Margo asked.

"I thought we could have some fun before the party," Jacob suggested.

"What kind of fun?" Margo asked with a look.

Jacob walked over to Margo and leaned into her ear, letting his hot breath fan her cheek as he whispered something to her. Margo's cheeks turned a faint pink. Then he took her by the hand and led her to his dresser.

As Jacob stood in front of Margo, she looked up at him, "Um, I never did this before with anyone."

"It's okay. Trust me; you'll like it. You know I've always liked you, but I've always been afraid you wouldn't like me back," Jacob said.