Family matters

Nana and Papa let me stay with them for a few days and let me stay home from school until the mark on my cheek faded. I stayed in the bedroom, listening to music and writing. I hated this feeling. My dad and I were always close, but it seems like we were miles apart from each other.

There was a knock at the door, and Papa opened it to show Kai standing there. He walked inside and sat down next to me. Papa gave us some space.

"How long are you planning on hiding out?" Kai asked me.

"Don't start, Kai," I said.

"You're out of commission for a while. I want to make sure that you still work properly," Kai smirked.

I laughed. "You're something else; you know that?"

"Eh, we're all something." Kai shrugged.

I don't know what it was about Kai, but having him here made me feel better. He didn't act sexual like Jacob and didn't have the drama like the girls. He wasn't party crazy like Max and Margo, so it was nice to hang out with Kai. I felt more relaxed when I was with him.

"You know you should talk to your dad," Kai said.

"I know. It was a shock. Dad never laid a hand on me prior," I said.

"You're lucky," Kai mumbled.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Nothing," Kai said, shaking his head, odd but okay.

"So, how long is your dad will be away for in the service?" I asked.

"Hopefully, not long. Each deployment varies." Kai sighed. It seemed like a sore subject with him. I asked about his mom once, and Kai changed the subject to something else. I left it alone.

I heard a knock at the door and looked up to see Dad standing there. Kai looked at me. "I'll give you some space. Talk to your dad," Kai whispered.

With that, Kai got up and left. I watched as my dad walked in cautiously, taking a seat on the bed while I stayed next to the window.

Dad let out a deep breath as he placed his hands in his lap. "Look, Faith, I'm sorry. I feel horrible for hitting you."

I looked at Dad, and from the looks of it, it looked like he had slept little. Dad also had a busted nose and two black eyes.

"What happened to your face?" I asked with confusion.

"Ace happened," Dad sighed.

Wow was all I thought.

"Look, Dad, I'm not angry, just hurt. You didn't give us a chance to explain," I said to Dad.

"I know, and for that, I feel terrible. Your brother told us what happened after your mom patched me up," Dad said.

"And?" I asked.

"And your brother got himself into quite a mess, hasn't he?" Dad asked me.

"Yeah, I tried to tell Ashton, but he wouldn't listen. He took on Jonas before and lost," I explained.

"So, should I have a word with this Jonas kid?" Dad asked me.

"No, Jonas isn't a bad guy, but Ashton needs to get his act together. I love Ashton, but he's thinking with his dick," I said to Dad.

Dad didn't know whether to scold me for swearing or laugh at the whole concept. He admitted that I was right about Ashton.

"Faith, I won't force you home. When you're ready, come home. I wanted things good between us, again," Dad said.