When life hands you lemons, add sugar

After my diagnosis and released from the hospital, I adjusted to things differently, including writing. Luckily, my parents worked with the school to get ideas in place for me when I returned.

Everyone else helped me to get settled at home, albeit with me knocking stuff over and almost falling down the steps a few dozen times. After a few days, I got used to things, and the blurriness was becoming second nature.

I found if I got real close to a paper, I could make out what I was writing. That will help me a lot.

The big issue I had to deal with was communicating with Nana. I was blind, and Nana was deaf. We got creative. Nana used a voice activator on her phone to speak to me, and I would still sign to her. Just because I lost my sight to a point didn't mean I forgot everything I learned.

Better yet, Kai would help since he was staying with my grandparents. Life became a challenge, but I dealt with it.

I would say if I had to look on the bright side of things, it was the fact I that got to hold Kai's hand more. I know some people might think that's weird, but for me, it meant everything.

After two weeks, I returned to school. It was nice to get back into the routine of things. Kai was helping me with my books when the girls arrived at their lockers.

"I can't believe you were excited to come back to this dump," Kira said as she opened her locker, taking out her books.

"Anything is better than sitting at home looking at the walls," I said as Kai handed me some books, causing them to stop. "Girls, I may be blind, but I can hear everything you do. Plus, it's not like I can't make out your shapes," I said to the girls. "It's a joke, lighten up."

"Oh, ha, ha, hilarious," Belle said to me as I giggled.

Max walked up. "Hello, ladies and gent, who is up for a party at my house tonight?"

"What's the reason this time?" Kira asked. "As if we need a reason."

"It's a welcome back party for Faith," Max said, putting an arm around my neck.

"Max, you want to have a party to have a party," I said, removing Max's arm.

"Yeah, true, but at least this gives me an excuse to con Mom and Dad into letting me have a party on a school night," Max smirked.

"Well, I'm down," Belle said.

"So am I," added Kira.

"Yeah, cool," Kai chimed.

"Faith?" Max asked.

"Oh, I suppose," I sighed.

They all cheered as Jacob walked up. Max looked at Jacob. "Party at my house tonight. Tell your friends. Got to find Margo."

"Cool," Jacob said, opening his locker.

From the sound of Jacob's tone, something wasn't right.

"You ready?" Kai asked.

"Yeah, give me a minute." I reached over and touched Jacob's arm. "You okay?"

Jacob looked down at my hand on his arm, then sighed, "Yeah. Can we talk later?"

"Sure," I said.

Jacob reached down. He took my hand gently, then leaned in and whispered, "Thanks."

With that, Jacob walked away. I walked toward shape and touched them only for someone to say, "The wrong person."

"Sorry, it's hard to tell who is who," I said.

"Well, my boobs would show who is who," Kira said. I felt her smirk and laughed.

Then I felt two muscular arms wrap around my waist from behind, and the person whispered, "I think you were looking for me."

I smiled, and Kai removed his arms, taking my hand in his hand. It will be a change.

Later on, I heard a knock at my bedroom door, then someone opened my door and closed it. I could hear a clunking sound on the floor. Oh, god, boots, those were the last thing I saw before I blacked out, a guy's boots.

I got up quickly and knocked things over in a panic. The one place I felt safe; someone was invading.

"Please! Please leave me alone!" I started to cry as the person walked towards me as their boots clunked against the floor. "Get away from me!" I screamed as I threw things at the person. Why wasn't the person saying anything? As the boots got closer, I hit something and fell to the floor, cowering in a corner.

The person's boots stopped right in front of me; then, I heard the door fly open, "What the fuck Jacob?" Kai yelled.

Kai hurried over to me as I cried, "What the hell are you doing?" Kai crouched in front of me as Jacob said nothing. "You okay?"

I nodded, grabbing Kai's sleeves as he wrapped his arms around me. He turned and looked at Jacob, who looked lost. "Why would you do that?"

"I-I," Jacob started to say.

"Just leave, Jacob," Kai said.

Jacob left, and Kai cradled me in his arms. I didn't know what was scarier, that I felt helpless or the fact my best mate would do that? Why did Jacob do that? I didn't know. What I knew is Jacob terrified me at that moment.

After that night in my room, I refused to sleep there. I didn't feel safe. I usually slept with either Megan or Mikayla. It never scared me to be in my room alone, but something triggered my fear, and it was the boots.

As far as Jacob was concern, I clung to Kai when Jacob came near me. I know Jacob would never hurt me, but I also developed a fear of him. Kai would always stay close to me. It was putting our friends in the middle.

One day I was at my locker alone when I heard the boots and started to panic. I tried to move away, yelling, "Stay away from me!"

"Faith! Listen to me," Jacob said, grabbing me and shaking me firmly. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to scare you!"

I struggled in Jacob's grasp. "Let go of me!"

"Not until you listen to me!" Jacob snapped.

"What do you want? I won't tell anyone. Please don't hurt me," I said as I started to cry.

"What are you talking about, Faith?" Jacob asked, his voice full of worry.

"I won't tell anyone about that day," I blubbered.

"You think that I hit you?" Jacob questioned.

I nodded.

"Oh, God, no. It wasn't me. I swear Faith, it wasn't me," Jacob promised.

"But your boots, they were the same ones I saw that day," I said between sobs.

"Faith, I wasn't there. I swear. I was with someone when I got the call," Jacob said, pleading with me.

"Oh, God," I cried, and Jacob pulled me to him as I sobbed into his chest. He wrapped his arms around me and stroked the back of my head.

Kai walked up. "What's going on?"

Jacob looked at Kai, "Faith thought I was the one that attacked her because of my boots."

"What?" Kai asked with confusion.

"Yeah, the last thing Faith saw was a pair of boots like mine," Jacob explained.

Kai reached and placed his hand on me. I let go of Jacob and Kai pulled me to him, "Shh, it's okay. I got you. Why don't I take you home?"

I nodded as Kai walked me out of the school, leaving Jacob standing there alone. I had to wonder what was wrong with me that I would think my best mate would do that to me. I didn't even know.