Life has its ups and down

After Kai's confession, we became inseparable. It became known to how close we were, especially when people saw us holding hands, and Kai had his arm wrapped around me as he kissed me. There was no other person who I would rather be close to than Kai. We connected on so many levels.

When things got too rough at home, I would hear a tapping at my window and open it so that Kai could climb inside my bedroom. He would cuddle up next to me and sleep, even if it was for a few hours so that he didn't have to find a place to sleep to escape his crazy mother. I didn't tell anyone about his late-night excursions. It wasn't anyone's business.

That continued to go on for a few weeks until my parents caught us. It seems we forgot to set our alarm for Kai to sneak out before my parents woke up.

We woke up to find both of them standing there, looking at us. We looked at each other and sighed. Dad waved his finger at us to follow them downstairs. We got up and followed my parents.

We sat there as my parents lectured us about everything until I finally said, "Dad! Nothing is going on with us."

"Faith, I'm not stupid. I was young once," Dad said.

"It's not like that. All we do is sleep," I admitted.

"And you expect me to believe that?" Dad questioned me.

"Believe whatever you want, but we aren't doing anything," I said defensively.

Kai stood up, "I think I will go."

"Yeah, I don't think so. Sit," Dad ordered Kai, who sat back down on the couch.

"Mom, tell Dad that he's overreacting," I pleaded with Mom.

"Honey, we don't want to see you do anything that you're not ready to do," Mom reasoned.

"But we aren't," I said defensively. Kai sat there, looking forlorn. Finally, I called someone that would speak reason.

"Who are you calling?" Dad asked.

"Papa," I said as the phone rang until my granddad picked up.

"Great." Dad sighed, taking a seat.

We waited until Papa arrived. We needed a mediator badly. Ten minutes after I got off the phone, there was a knock at the door. Dad had Mom answer the door, chicken.

Papa walked in, and it didn't take him long to figure out what the issue was. He looked at Kai and me, "You both stay here. Zack and Grace follow me."

Dad looked at my parents. "I thought you two were smarter than this."

"Ace, come on," Dad said to Papa.

Papa looked at Dad, "No, Zack."

"Dad, we caught Faith and Kai in bed together," Grace said to Papa.

"Yeah, and I caught you two doing a lot worse. Did you bother to ask what is happening?" Papa asked my parents.

My parents looked at Papa as he said, "Of course not. Come on." They walked back into the living room, and both of us watched the three of them. Papa looked at Kai, "Stand up."

Kai looked at me, and I nodded. He did as he told.

"Remove your shirt," Papa ordered. Kai complied and removed his shirt to reveal all his tattoos. My parent's mouths dropped open in shock. Papa looked at Kai, then looked at my parents, "Someone's abusing this boy."

My parents looked at Kai, and Kai turned his head away.

"What do you mean?" Dad asked.

"Look closely," Papa ordered Dad. Dad walked over and inspected Kai, seeing the scars. You couldn't tell until you were up close and personal. Papa looked at Kai, "Okay, you can put on your shirt."