"Why?" He asked, playing dumb.

"It's fucking cold!" I said, shivering.

"I thought you said it was warm?" He asked.

My frown quickly faded. I couldn't stay mad at him. His smile changed everything. That stupid, perfect smile.

"You don't have any towels do you?" I asked.

"I'll check," he said.

•••

I sat on the beach in nothing but my underwear and Mark's shirt shivering and waiting for him to come back with warm towels, or so I thought.

"I have this," He shrugged, holding up what appeared to be a raggedy, old blanket. I didn't pay much attention though. I just admired him. He just looked so, uh, so perfect. Yeah, perfect. I was starting to realize how deep in this shit I was. Mark was just a sex-crazed whore and I was a hopeless fool. Nothing would ever happen.

"That's perfect," I said.

He smiled, and wrapped it around us.

"You know," I said, starting to feel butterflies and get really nervous, "This is the kinda stuff couples do."

"Yeah I guess you're right," he said, looking out on the water.

"But uh, we're not a couple. Right?" I asked.

Now you're probably thinking Brandy what the fuck are you doing. At least I was, I seriously had no idea what I was saying or why I was saying it. It just kinda came flying out of my mouth.

He looked over at me a bit confused, "Uh no," he said, hesitantly "No."

"Yeah," I nodded, "Right."

It felt like my heart had broken into a million pieces. I mean what was I expecting him to say? "Yes?"  "I love you?" or "Let's get married"? God, this is hopeless. I just need to move on. Find someone who just doesn't care about sex.

mark's pov

I couldn't help but smile as I wrapped the blanket around us. She was unbelievably beautiful. She made me feel something I had never felt for a woman before. She was more than just a one night stand or casual sex. I felt like I may have actual feelings for her.

"You know," She said, running sand through her fingers, "This is kinda the stuff couples do."

I was a little surprised at what she said, and I wasn't sure where she was going. I didn't know what to say, but I guess she was kinda right.

"Yeah, I guess you're right," I said, not taking my eyes off the rippling water.

"But uh, we're not a couple right?" She asked.

I didn't know what to say. If I said no, she might feel hurt or upset, if she felt the same way about me that I did as her, but if I say yes and she's not onboard she might get freaked out. But we agreed early we weren't nothing more than just sex. I was stuck

"Uh no," I paused, "No."

"Yeah, right," she nodded.