twenty::

The day I hoped would never come finally came

The day I hoped would never come finally came. I knew it was silly to think it would never come but who would dream of a day like this?

I let out a big sigh, as I looked in the mirror trying to fix my hair just right. I wanted to look perfect. Better than I ever had before, but it wasn't working. I looked down at the simple, black dress and at the white corsage that adorned my dress.

I heard a soft knock on the door, which made me jump. I slowly went to the door and opened it to see my grandma.

"Oh dear, you look gorgeous! Your grandpa would've loved it." She smiled.

"Thank you grandma," I smiled back at her.

"Your corsage looks good too. Your grandpa said he wanted all of his family to wear one. I think it's a good idea. He loved flowers," my grandma said looking at it.

"I think so too grandma, and he really did love his flowers."

"Is everyone ready?" My mom asked.

I shook my head, "No. I don't think I'll ever be ready, but let's go."

We all piled into my mom's car. It felt like old times, everyone together in the car. We had a lot of memories together in that car. My favorite was when we took it on a road trip from Minnesota all the way to Florida. We went to Disney World, and a bunch of other fun places. I wished I could go back to that trip. I was done being an adult. I wanted to be young again.

"Brandy, Dr.Shepherd will be there right?" My grandma asked.

I nodded, "Just for the funeral, he has surgery later this evening."

"Oh good. He's such a nice man. He's been very helpful."

"He is," I smiled.

We rode the rest of the way to the church in silence. I wanted to talk, but I couldn't think of a word to say. I looked to my left and saw Ian looked very upset. This was the first time he really had to deal with someone dying. He was too young to remember our great grandma's death.

I reached over and placed my hand on his. He looked up at me with sad eyes.

"It's OK," I mouthed to him.

He nodded and looked out the window.

In the seat in front of us Jack and my grandma sat, silent as well. My mom drove the car, and her asshole of a husband, Stephen, sat in the front seat. I didn't know why he was even here. He barely knew my grandpa. He didn't even care, one bit.

When we reached the small, white church, the pastor came out and greeted grandma, "Hello Mrs.Scott! This must be your family! I saw some of you yesterday."

"Yes," My grandma said, "This is my daughter, Jen, her husband, Stephen."

The pastor smiled and shook their hands, "And those must be your grandchildren?"

The conversation faded as I walked over to the playground across the street. I sat down on a swing. I kept my feet on the ground and slowly rocked back and forth. I didn't want to be here. I wanted to go home or to the hospital. Anywhere but that sad, little church. Anywhere.

I sat there for a good hour, before people started to show up. I decided I should probably go to the church. I got up and walked over to the church.

"Brandy! It's so nice to see you!" I was greeted by countless family and friends, countless hugs, handshakes, and 'I'm sorry's'.' No matter what I was told or who hugged me. It didn't fix or change a thing. My grandpa was still gone. I felt helpless. I couldn't do anything. It was too late.

It was an hour before the funeral, when Derek and Meredith showed up. I was glad they came. I know my grandma was too. She really liked Derek. She thought he was one of the best doctors they had, despite what happened.

"Thanks for coming," I said, as Meredith extended her arms to me and pulled me into a hug.

"How are you doing?" She asked.

"I'm okay," I said, forcing a smile, "How's Iz doing I haven't talked to her in a couple days."

"Better, still baking like crazy," Meredith said.

"Dr.Shepherd!" My grandma said, walking over to us, "I'm so glad you could come. Meredith it's great to see you too. You both have been so helpful during Edwin's last months."

"Well we're glad we were able to help and also sincerely sorry for your loss," Derek said.

My grandma smiled, "Well if you'll excuse me, I have to make my way around."

"Of course," Meredith smiled.

I looked out the door and noticed Cristal, her husband, James, and Kevin, their son. They were such a perfect family. I had always been a little envious of my older sister. She had her whole life put together. She was perfect. Great at everything. There wasn't anything she couldn't do. She was almost done with her second year of residency at the Mayo, and I'm sure some day she'll be the resident.

"Auntie Brandy!" Little Kevin shouted before running into my arms.

"Hey kiddo," I smiled, before lifting him up.

He looked absolutely adorable in his little black suit. He even had a flower like the rest of us, just smaller. His smiling face and rosy, chubby cheeks made everything better for just that moment.

He wrapped his little arms around my neck and rested his head on my shoulder.

"How's my favorite Nephew doing?" I asked.

"Happy!" He beamed.

"And how's my favorite sister and brother-in-law doing?" I asked.

Cristal didn't seem as happy as I was in that moment. Her smile was gone. That glow in her eyes had faded. Everything was different. That's when my high ended. I felt broken again. Broken into a million pieces. A broken feeling, that no small child could fix no more. It had finally hit me. Hit me right in the face and it hurt and stung so bad.

My grandpa was really gone.