fifty seven::::

[ take me home ]

The years we spend as surgical residents will be the best and worst years of our lives. 

"I need to see her! I don't care what the hell the protocol is!"

We will be pushed to our breaking point.

"Sir, I'm sorry. We need to take her into an emergency surgery. You can wait in the waiting room, until her family arrives."

This is the starting line. 

"Emergency Surgery? Is she going to be okay? What the hell is happening?"

This is our arena.

"Dr.Dixon, everything is going to be okay, alright? We're taking you down to surgery now. Your family's on their way, and you'll see them after surgery."

How well we play, that's up to us.

◦◦

◦◦

"Cr-Cristina ch-check on Mark's heart. I-I'm worried about him."

"Hey, hey," I heard a voice say and felt a hand placed on my arm, my eyes sprung open and I jolted away, the bed shaking.

"Brandy! Brandy! Hey, hey, it's okay," Ben's voice said.

My breath started to get heavy and I my heart started to race, panic filled my body, "I want to go home!" I started to sob, "Take me home!" My throat burned as I screamed.

"Brandy, Brandy, hey, hey, shh," Ben said, stroking my head with his hand, "Shhh, you're okay now."

"Oh my God," I heard my mom's voice say, "Finally, you're awake."

"Mom? Wha-Why are you here?"

"I'll leave you to have some family time, okay?" Ben pressed a kiss to my forehead then walked out.

"What do you mean why am I here? You were in a plane crash, honey. You almost died. It was pretty stupid of you too. Getting on a plane right after that idiot father of yours and your brother were just killed by one," she clicked her teeth and shook her head, "I mean what were you thinking? That was so stupid of you to do."

"I want to see dad," I choked.

"Well, when you get home we'll go to the funeral home and pick up his ashes."

"What do you-I just saw dad a couple days ago, at the hospital," I frowned.

"Why don't you get some rest, all this stuff they're pumping you up with is making you loony."

"Mom?" I frowned as she left the room.

"Good morning Dr.Dixon," a doctor said, as she walked into the room, "I'm Dr.Callahan. I preformed your surgery. I'm glad to see you're awake and doing well. You had some pretty serious trauma to your abdomen, causing a lot of internal bleeding. You're vitals are looking good. We may need to do a follow-up surgery, but we'll have your doctors at home take care of that. In the meantime we have-"