fifty one::::

{ what if? }

It had been a few months since the accident and Callie was on her way to making a full recovery. It seemed like a miracle. A miracle no one was expecting, but gladly accepted. The baby was doing great too. They had decided on the name, Sofia. I hadn't really seen her much lately. Mark spent most of his time with her, making it a little harder to see her very often. I hadn't talked to Mark since that night. Ben wasn't very fond of Mark. He didn't like the idea that I was even working in the same building as him. He even tried to get me to transfer hospitals, but I convinced him it was okay.  Luckily I hadn't been seeing too much of him. 

Ben didn't talk very much of that night. We both just kind of erased it from our memories. We kinda pretended it didn't happen. I promised Ben that I would try better to answer him and I would let him know if my plans were going to change. And he promised not to get so upset and understand that I was busy at work and sometimes had emergencies where I can't always get to him right away. My priorities started with my patients. 

Everything felt a lot better between us once we talked that out. We had strong communication, something Mark and I never had. It felt good, to be able to talk with him and to have an understanding of each other and be able to work on our problems.

"Hey dad," I said through the phone.

"Hello my darling girl. It's been awhile since I've heard from you. How are you?"

"I'm alright. I'm sorry, it's been so crazy lately. I haven't had much time to talk. I miss you a lot, though," I frowned. It had been almost over a year since I had last seen my dad. 

"Well, you don't have to miss me much longer. Your brother and I are coming over to visit you for your birthday in a couple weeks," I could hear the excitement in my dad's voice.

"Dad that's great, but my birthday was months-, wait. Dad. You seriously aren't celebrating that anymore? My sobriety birthday? Dad, I love you and I'd love to see you, but I don't really want to celebrate it. It's not something I'm happy about, my addiction."

"You know it's going to be 10 years right? That's something to be happy about and proud of."

I knew he was right, but I didn't like celebrating it. I hated it. It made me feel like shit. It wasn't really a birthday, just a painful reminder. A reminder of how bad my life had gotten. Also there wasn't ever really any presents, sometimes a cake. But just a pity cake.

"I know, but it just brings up some bad stuff, dad."

"Let us just celebrate this milestone. For one day, one little party."

"Fine, but which brother is it?"

My dad chuckled through the phone, "Ian, of course. I talked to your other brother and that crazy sister of yours, they plan to come with. Jack  has some fancy new SUV he wants to drive us in."

"Dad, you can't drive up here. Look, I know how you feel about airplanes, but that's a long drive for you. I'll buy the tickets for you and Ian."

"Oh Brands, I am fine. I'm not some old man like you think I am. And I am not afraid of airplanes, the last time I flew over here, it felt like it took more time to fly than it did driving. All that time I spent in the airport and even on the plane. It's too much hassle."

I could almost picture my dad on the other side of the phone, pacing back and forth, getting upset with me.

"Dad, I'm buying your tickets. Also you all aren't taking a road trip without me."

"I'll think about it. One more thing, you're not going to be happy about this, but-"

"Oh no, what is it now?" I sighed.