thirty one:::

[ here comes the flood ]

"I feel like I'm in high school again," I slouched down in my seat, and put my feet up on the seat in front of me.

"Did your high school have problems with people not teaching correctly?" Cristina asked.

"No, just sitting in an auditorium like this. We had meetings like this too," I said, "They sucked."

"Listen up people," Webber stood before all of us, up on the stage, "Listen up. I know we're busy people so I'm going to try to be brief. I am introducing a new teaching protocol here at Seattle Grace. Some of these rules are new, and some of these are old rules, newly reinforced."

"I'm not excited for these rules," I whispered.

"Yeah, me either," Cristina nodded, getting her notes ready.

"First, second, and third year residents will no longer be allowed to de facto specialize. The practice interferes with a fully rounded surgical career. No more."

I looked over at Cristina as she wrote down all that he was saying.

"Personal relationships, personal loyalties, personal favorites, will no longer factor in our training program. Attendings, you will spread your knowledge to all of your residents. In addition we will focus on patient communication and bedside manner. For some of us, that means learning the lost art of humanity and compassion. For others that means not getting emotionally involved with patients. This is a surgical program. Psychiatry is on the fifth floor. Let's not confuse the two. In addition, residents, your interns reflect on you. If they fail, you fail. If they succeed, you succeed. Attendings, that goes for residents as well. Teach with enthusiasm. Learn with enthusiasm. We are surgeons. We cut out malignancies. Let's start at home people."

••

"Barry Patmore. 63," Meredith presented, in a lowered voice, "Has been experiencing chronic headaches for the past seven years, has been treated with narcotics, antiseizure medications, antidepressants, and antipsychotic medications with no success."

"How's the pain today Mr.Patmore?" Derek asked the patient, "Scale of one to ten?"

"Eight. It's always an eight," the man groaned.

"Which is why Mr.Patmore's last consult suggested a bilateral cingulotomy-" Derek told us, until he was interrupted by Cristina.

"I'm sorry, a frontal lobotomy for a headache?" Cristina asked.

"Too loud. Please," Mr.Patmore gasped, "And could you do something about the buzzing. Do we really need all these machines?"

"Mr.Patmore has been experiencing intense pain for the past seven years," Derek continued.

"But the cingulotomy could cause seizures, or cognitive defects, or behavioral changes," Meredith said.

"Which is why we're going to explore every other possible option before resorting to such a radical surgery," Derek said.

"Dr.Yang, you'll be assisting Dr.Shepherd today," Webber told Cristina.

We all left the room and followed behind Webber to the next patient.

"Jack O'Brien. 47. Scheduled for an abdominal aortic aneurysm repair," Cristina presented, "His last C.T. showed calcification."