fifty three::::

[ not so happy ten year anniversary ]

"Dad, I have a surgery," I said, "But I'll be done by the time you land, okay? I'll be there to pick you up and bring you back to your hotel."

"A hotel? I thought we were staying with you?" he asked.

"Well, I don't exactly have my own house right now," I scratched the back of my head.

"What? You don't have your own house? Still?"

"I know. I know. I'm working on it. I don't need that lecture right now."

"Alright, alright," he chuckled, "We can't wait to see you."

"I can't wait to see you guys either. There's so much stuff I have to tell you about and there's so many things we can do in Seattle."

"Can I finally meet that boyfriend of yours? Mark?" He asked.

"Uh, it's Ben, actually."

"The plastic surgeon, right? I could've sworn his name was Mark. God, I guess I'm getting old."

"No, dad, that is right. Mark's the plastic surgeon. I'm not dating him anymore."

"Oh, geez, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that. Oh, your brother's trying to get the phone from me. Bye honey. Love you. See you soon."

"See you soon, dad. Love you," I laughed, as I could hear the phone shuffle over to my brother.

"Hey, I couldn't stand to listen to dad embarrass himself and you at the same time anymore," my little brother said.

I laughed, "It's okay. It's typical dad."

"Yeah," Ian laughed.

"I'm really excited to see you guys. I can't believe you're already in your first year of college. My baby bro is all grown up!"

"Yeah, yeah. I know. You and everyone else," I could almost feel his eyes roll over the phone.

"Okay, well I won't keep you any longer. I got a surgery to prep for and I'm sure your plane starts boarding soon," I said.

"Yeah, pretty soon," he said, "Well, see you soon. Love you."

"Love you too my little college student! Maybe you'll follow in both your older sister's footsteps and go onto medical school! How exciting would that be?"

"Goodbye Brandy."

"Right. Sorry. See you soon."

The line hung up.

I was so proud of my little brother. He was an amazing kid, and I was really excited to see what's in store for his future. I was starting to get anxious that my dad wanted to meet Ben now. I could probably come up with some kind of excuse for them not to meet. It shouldn't be that hard.

I packed my stuff up and headed out the door. I had a quick surgery before they landed, that I was pretty excited for. I couldn't wait to get into the OR. It was my happy place. I had noticed that surgery had taken the place of the drugs. Surgery was my addiction now and I was okay with that. I was totally okay with that.

°°

"Alex said he'd cover some of my cases," I told Arizona after rounds.

"That's fine Dixon," Arizona said, "Go celebrate with your family, 10 years. That's something to celebrate."

"She's good to go for surgery, Dr.Robbins," Mark walked up to us, mostly looking at me, "What's this I hear about celebrating?"

"Oh, uh, Brandy's 10 year anniversary," Arizona smiled.